“Rotterdam Blues !”
Cruise review of Holland America Rotterdam

Mr SD Weinberg Rotterdam 3 Rotterdam Blues !
Mr SD Weinberg
Member Since
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Like another reviewer on Tripadvisor my wife and I were also on the July Transatlantic crossing from Southampton to New York and have less than complimentary things to say about the voyage. Having previously been on a Princess ship also part of Carnival Corporation for four weeks crossing the Pacific last year it was an opportunity to compare both products like for like.

The Rotterdam is a grand vessel and warrants a better calibre of staff. That is not to say that some of the crew were exceptional, however dinning was a bear pit with waiters barely able to manage tables. Service was appalling with many dishes served tepid including at least 3 soups . The meals were basically production line fare of mediocre quality with tiny helpings for entrees which were apologies for dinner courses. The time taken to serve each course was ludicrously long and each dinner took an eternity. That is fine if you want to languish for hours but most people required feeding in good time so that they could get away for entertainment . We have enjoyed many cruises and this was the first time we did not offer gratuity

The management also did not feel inclined to keep the pool area clean during the day. Crockery and glasses were strewn around the place especially glasses around the only spa that they had working most of the time . This was so dangerous especially with children jumping in and out . No attempt whatsoever was made to clear the debris

When we embarked it took 5 hours to obtain our luggage. We enquired several times at the front desk and they told us "they were looking for our cases" Eventually I decided to look myself and hey presto they were by a lift with a lot of other luggage at the far end of our corridor . I took them back to our cabin.

Overall we were more than disappointed with HA and I doubt very much if we will ever cruise with them again It is a poor operation with untrained staff and culinary in expertise.

Rotterdam Cruises to Transatlantic

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Rotterdam Review
Rotterdam Cruises to Transatlantic
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?