Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by arlodog

Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Oasis is amazing!
A bit of background--this was a cruise for my son (24) and I. We were celebrating his recent graduation from college and he wanted to go on a cruise. He wanted to go on Oasis for the experience of a big ship. I usually like to cruise for the ports so we had different ideas of what makes a great vacation. I have been on 8 cruises before; but we do like RCCL over most other cruise lines.

We flew to FLL the evening before the cruise and stayed at Riverside Hotel on Las Olas. A nice smaller hotel with charm. Wish we would have gotten in earlier so we could have enjoyed it more, but ate a quick bite at Cheesecake Factory located next door and went to bed so we could get up early.

We woke up and walked around a bit before heading to the port. We walked over the the CVS which is about a 1/2 mile away for a few last minute items. Wouldn't have been bad except it was a bit hot. The hotel arranged for a driver ($25) to the port. We arrived at 11:45. No lines and we were headed on the ship within 10 minutes of arriving for check-in.

There was a change of itinerary due to T.S. Maria announced in a letter given to us at check-in so I made a quick call to my DH so he could get a hold of our private excursion operators to make sure our plans were not going to fall through since we were changing the days of our ports. Only complaint is that they didn't post the change on the RCCL website so I could have done it before going to the port.

We entered into the Broadway area of the ship--first impression? Looks like a mall; but it was a beautiful one! We went to the Windjammer to get some lunch and didn't have any problem getting a seat. Food in the Windjammer is standard but I found it to have a bit less options than other ships we have been on.

By the time we finished lunch the rooms were ready and we dropped off our few carry-on items and headed out to explore the ship. The ship is absolutely over the top and gorgeous! We enjoyed finding the small hidden bronze "treasures" all over the ship and quickly found all that we could.

We had my time dining and only ate in the dining room for the first couple of nights, not that we had any problems, actually we were always able to be sat at a table right away (without reservations), we just were too busy with other activities and didn't want to hassle with changing for dinner! We also tried Johnny Rockets and loved our breakfast and lunch at Park Central. Chops for dinner one night was superb! Love their red velvet cake!

The only activity we paid for on board was the flow-rider lessons. I would highly recommend these for anyone thinking of trying the flow-rider--its not easy, but with the staff's help you can be comfortable in no time. Cost $60 for an hour with 8 other people. All other activities we made reservations for which I recommend. We did see people turned away from some of the more popular shows. Comedy show, Aqua theater and Hairspray were great! We actually missed many of our shows because we found other things to do.

Overall impression of the Oasis didn't diminish over the week. No problems with crowding, lines or feeling like you were in a herd. They did a great job with the design of the ship and the flow of people. The number of choices was phenomenal and definitely worth the extra for this beautiful ship! The only complaint was that the library was so small with very few choices.

Disembarkation was also very smooth. We had requested an 8:30-9:00 time and it was delayed (don't know why) our numbers weren't called until around 9:45; but once it was our time it only took about 15 minutes to go though customs and pick up our luggage. Actually one of the better dis embarkations we have been through.

Oasis is definitely one of the best ships I have been on with plenty to do for all ages. We saw lots of families of multi-generation on board and everyone seemed to be having a great time. Highly recommend it for anyone who wants lots of activities and choices for their cruise vacation.

Publication Date: 09/26/11