Veendam Cruise Review by GAPPAM

Veendam
Veendam
Member Name: GAPPAM
Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Veendam Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Veendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Veendam Deck Plans
Disapointed with some things
New York Embarking was great. Beat Florida.

Veendam smelled musty and mildewy upon entering it. It was also that way two other days. Room was nice. Price for a wash and style in salon was double NCL and RCCL. The acupunture was a rip off. She put the needles in with a heat lamp and left for 40 minutes. Twice the lamp fell on my body and I had to work with it to make it stay up off of me. No change from the acupuncture, just a bruise from where the lamp fell on the needles. The Thai massage my husband got was nice, but they gave him the wet paddles and black mold was on them after our flight home. They should give dry ones to people for that large price.

The Pinnacle grill was awesome. Booked it before arriving. Tried to book the Canaletto on board and was told to wait to a day before we wanted it. So called the day before and was now told it was booked up for the last three days. How did people do that when we couldn't do that?

The captain did a wonderful job. Got us to Hamilton (skipped St George) which was fine (Hurricane Katia) and communicated everything well. Not a lot to do on this ship compared to NCL and RCCL cruises, unless you want to gamble or swim or drink. The magician was good and the male singer who sang in Carnegie Hall was great along with the blonde female soprano. All of the other entertainers were below par compared to RCCL and NCL.

One of the biggest turn offs was the religious services. Every day a catholic service was shown to be scheduled. A Sabbot service was shown and it looked like some attended it. Then the schedule showed than an interdenominational service was going to be held Saturday evening. I showed up a few minutes early and no one was there (not just to attend, no one was there to run it. When the time to start came around an employee peeked in and said is no one here to do it? I said no. He said I will check on that and never came back. My husband and I waited around for about 15 minutes and when the ship sent no one, we left and said how sad that the casino and entertainment is running, but that God was forgotten. That made me decide it was the last Holland cruise we will take. RCCL never forgot to do theirs.
Publication Date: 09/24/11