Veendam Cruise Review by GAPPAM: Disapointed with some things

Compare Prices on Veendam Bermuda Cruises

Disapointed with some things

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

New York Embarking was great. Beat Florida.

Veendam smelled musty and mildewy upon entering it. It was also that way two other days. Room was nice. Price for a wash and style in salon was double NCL and RCCL. The acupunture was a rip off. She put the needles in with a heat lamp and left for 40 minutes. Twice the lamp fell on my body and I had to work with it to make it stay up off of me. No change from the acupuncture, just a bruise from where the lamp fell on the needles. The Thai massage my husband got was nice, but they gave him the wet paddles and black mold was on them after our flight home. They should give dry ones to people for that large price.

The Pinnacle grill was awesome. Booked it before arriving. Tried to book the Canaletto on board and was told to wait to a day before we wanted it. So called the day before and was now told it was booked up for the last three days. How did people do that when we couldn't do that?

The captain did a wonderful job. More Got us to Hamilton (skipped St George) which was fine (Hurricane Katia) and communicated everything well. Not a lot to do on this ship compared to NCL and RCCL cruises, unless you want to gamble or swim or drink. The magician was good and the male singer who sang in Carnegie Hall was great along with the blonde female soprano. All of the other entertainers were below par compared to RCCL and NCL.

One of the biggest turn offs was the religious services. Every day a catholic service was shown to be scheduled. A Sabbot service was shown and it looked like some attended it. Then the schedule showed than an interdenominational service was going to be held Saturday evening. I showed up a few minutes early and no one was there (not just to attend, no one was there to run it. When the time to start came around an employee peeked in and said is no one here to do it? I said no. He said I will check on that and never came back. My husband and I waited around for about 15 minutes and when the ship sent no one, we left and said how sad that the casino and entertainment is running, but that God was forgotten. That made me decide it was the last Holland cruise we will take. RCCL never forgot to do theirs. Less

Read more Veendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Veendam Review >>

Cabin review: Veendam Verandah Suite Verandah

Verandah, 9th floor, odd number, mid ship was excellent.

Hamilton was nice. People are nice. The 5 hour island tour was great. Well worth it. St George was easily reached by bus and it too was nice. Nice bus system. Hog and Penny Pub was nice and the Sportsman clothing store was as an islander told us the best place to buy men the Bermuda shorts and long socks the businessmen wear. The dockyard had a great Bermuda run cake store with a lot of choices to try. Tobacco bay was open due to Katia closing other beaches, and was easily walked to from St George. Beautiful path to get to it. Hair salon we checked on in Hamilton was outrageously expensive. $99 for a wash and set. Not a lot of unique souvenirs outside of baked goods for a cruise port, unless you want that Rolex or designer perfume. The parallel parking of Holland's ship to the main street in Hamilton was wonderful and having an odd number balcony room on the 9th floor gave us a perfect view of the nightlife. Yet shutting the balcony door allowed all music to disappear if we were tired.

Read 125 Hamilton Reviews