Thomson Celebration Cruise Review by dawn mugan: Egypt and holy Land Thomson celebration

dawn mugan
0 Post

Egypt and holy Land Thomson celebration

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Middle East
Embarkation: Other

We had a one weeks cruise of Egypt and Holy Land on Thomson Celebration in September 2011. The ship was not the biggest nor the poshest of cruise liners but we had a great holiday all the same as it had a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere. I found the trip to Alexandria to be boring.

Food on the ship was good - not five star but we certainly enjoyed all our meals. We ate in the Meridian restaurant in the evening but used the Lido self-serve for breakfast and lunch.

Only downside was the ship vibrated all the time. I think this was due to the generator and probably due to the ship being an older one. This got to be quite annoying. This was our fourth cruise and we hadn't experienced this on other ships. If you go on this ship I think you could expect 3* quality as opposed to some of the larger,newer ships. Less

Read more Thomson Celebration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Celebration Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Celebration 465

Good location on deck three. Inside cabin - L-shaped single beds. Air conditioning wasn't working efficiently (friends in cabin next door had a much cooler cabin). Reported it on 4 occasions but still not right when we left.

we booked the greek and roman tour. I was very disappointed and wish I had stayed onboard the ship.

The trip to the pyramids was a very long day but worth it. We had an armed security guard on each coach (15 coaches in total) and a police escort. For the first few minutes of the journey coming out of the port, the roads had police road blocks so we could drive through quickly. You soon got used to this. We went inside one of the pyramids. Not recommended if you have breathing problems, mobility problems or are claustrophobic, however, I have mild asthma and still managed to go down into the pyramid, I did panic part way down but then made a determined effort to carry on. I was so glad I did (not that there is a lot to see) but I can always say I was inside a pyramid. We were hassled all the time by street sellers. They would not leave us alone. The best camera shots were at the Sphinx.

Jerusalem and Bethlehem were advertised as strenuous walking trips so I was worried about this in the heat but it was nowhere near as hard as I thought. It was amazing and well worth going. I don't class myself as religious but I certainly felt it here. It was a lovely experience.