Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by whodhats

Cruise Date: September 2011
Cabin Category: D2
Entertainment 5+

A Real Oasis
We would like to share some comments on our latest cruise. This is not a professional type review but a simple expression of our opinions. We have been on about 15 cruises to date. We have been on Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, Princess, and Royal Caribbean.

We have just returned from the September 10th "Oasis of the Seas" cruise. This is by far the most spectacular cruise we have been on. It is the one that lives up to its hype. We have been on other "spectacular" ships such as the "Epic". Oasis is definitely a stand out above the rest.

The ships design is very imaginative. The check in process was very smooth and well organized. Leaving and returning to the ship was very easy. We are not night people however on this cruise we were up at 7 or 8 and did not return to 1 or 2 in the morning.

There were only a couple of things that we were disappointed with. The first thing many people think of when you say "cruise" and that is eating and usually they talk about the buffet. I will be talking about the buffet often, but about how poor of a selection and quality of food. I guess it is a personal thing but I enjoy ice cream after a meal. This is the first cruise buffet that did not even have a soft serve ice cream. (I found out by accident that there is a hidden ice cream machine behind both of the pool bars) There was no midnight buffet available. The main dining room "Opus" was not much better; the selection was poor and service just adequate, definitely not up to my other cruise experiences. The"My Time" dining was our choice. In order to get this you must prepay gratuities. It turned out that I was dissatisfied with the dining room and staff but still had to leave them money. The amount did not upset me but the inability to distribute it as I thought was appropriate does upset me.

Having said the bad, the specialty restaurants were quite good. The Solarium Bistro was low key, great food (the Bison was exquisite), and good service. Chops Grille was a fast paced experience with great food and service. 150 central Park was very upscale. The service, the food, the atmosphere, and everything else made it a most enjoyable experience.

I guess it depends on whether you are a smoker or not if this is good or bad. The ship is overall more accommodating to smokers than any other ship. The entire port deck outdoors, your balcony, and several of the night clubs are smoking areas.

To bring my laptop or not was a decision that I would have changed had I known what was available. I like to be able to download my pictures from my camera. The price of the internet usage is the same if you use your laptop or their pc. I choose to avoid the hassle of carrying my laptop. The computers onboard are only good for the internet. There is no way to use anything with them.

The shows onboard were all very good. There was a good variety including several street parades.

Publication Date: 09/23/11