Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by Mrs Gump

Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: VE
See More About: Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Nieuw Amsterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Nieuw Amsterdam Deck Plans
Nieuw Amsterdam
I just want to say that anyone who can find fault with this ship or her staff are just impossible to please.

My husband and I and 3 other couples spent 12 days on board and they were all wonderful. Our rooms were always clean and well looked after, laundry was cleaned and pressed and returned to us in the same condition.

The food in the Manhattan Dining room was wonderful every night, we didn't go anywhere else to eat because we didn't need to. We sat at the same table every night and had excellent service, (table 207). The waiters and wine stewards were all friendly but we have a soft spot for the ones who served us, due to us having a late running happy hour most nights we were late getting to dinner and often were the last to leave. No-one complained or got upset with us just happy to be of service. Had burgers by the pool for lunch a couple days but mostly ate at the Lido for breakfast and lunch and it was always good. I must have gained 10lbs from all the bread pudding and sauce, it was soooo good.

The ships stores sent us home a little poorer but I love my purchases, and enjoyed the fact that they change certain items according to the port are.

It was still very hot in the Mediterranean, over 30C most days so it was hot by the pools but that isn't the fault of the ship. I think that the Cabana's are a waste and that space could be put to better use but there may be others who don't agree.

A couple of our guys spent some time in the Casino and luck didn't favor them but they had fun.

I would go on this ship again any day, I told my husband that someone(Nieuw Amsterdam)finally realized that I was meant to be treated like a princess!

Publication Date: 09/22/11