Marina Cruise Review by gumshoe_writer

Embarkation: other
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: A4
Cabin Number: 90**
See More About: Marina Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Oceania Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Marina Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Marina Deck Plans
Rome to Venice - August 26, 2011
This was our first Oceania cruise, and I do think we'll book with this cruise line again. The staff and service were great, the food was fantastic, and our stateroom was adequate.

Service: No complaints whatsoever. The staff on this ship make it seem like they really want to be there.

Spa: Okay but not great. One thing I hate about cruise ship spas is the "product push". I go there to relax, not hear about how I need to fix my flaws. For example, I had a manicure and she came out with literally an armload of creams and an exfoliating machine for me to purchase. Like I could fit that in my suitcase?

Food: Incredible everywhere. We loved the specialty restaurants as well as the Waves Grill and Terrace Cafe.

Pool: Pool area was great (but VERY slippery in bare feet). The pool itself was a bit small but it was nice to have the salt water to swim in.

Concierge: Great room, with coffee and snacks. Internet was expensive. The computers were slow (which quickly sucked up any time you bought), but usable. We could not connect from our room at all either with their laptop or with our own iPad. The e-mail accounts provided by the cruise ship were okay but took a long time to access. For $3.95 per sent e-mail, I'd rather use my own account.

Laundry: Go early because these machines (3 only for each floor, I think) are used all day long.

Ship excursions: Way too expensive for what you actually get. We were much happier with the private tours that we took.

Ports: There were a few ports where we weren't quite sure what we had to do, where to get a taxi, where the shopping was, etc. and some of the maps we got were nearly unreadable.

Stateroom bed: Extremely comfortable; good-quality sheets.

Stateroom Bathroom: A good size, with good storage.

Stateroom showers: What were they thinking? My husband referred to the shower as a Pringle's can. It was small, but then the large showerhead was a bit ridiculous because it just made water run down your face. There is also only one small shelf for soap, two bottles of shampoo and two bottles of conditioner. The bathtub was a nice touch and I did use it but the handheld shower was positioned so that the water ran around the outside of the tub and ended up on the floor. Easy enough to fix by putting a towel on the side of the tub.

Closet: Adequate but hard to access because it was so close to the bed. Much of the closet shelf is taken up by the lifejackets. There were not enough drawers for the amount of clothes we brought so my husband ended up with all his clothes in the desk drawers.

Safe: If you're 5-foot-2 like I am, you can't see inside the safe! I could only feel my way around it. If I wanted to see, I had to stand on the bed.

Veranda: Very nice.

Veranda doors: Our doors whistled at night when the ship was moving to the next port. It was very loud. We did not complain about it because by the time the ship was in port each morning the noise had stopped. In addition, the entire ship had a weird "shimmy" to it when it was going over 20 knots.

Publication Date: 09/21/11