Balmoral Cruise Review by Robin Farrant

Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: D
See More About: Balmoral Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Fred. Olsen Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Balmoral Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Balmoral Deck Plans
Balmoral Norwegian Fjords - Stunning!
Our 8 day Balmoral cruise was quite stunning.

Having previously sailed with QM2 and Celebrity, I tried Fred Olsen last year with Blackwatch and fell in love with the unique style of British food and unique personal experience of the Fred Olsen staff, many of which seem to effortlessly remember guests names.

I dined with my wife and mother in the Spey restaurant, waiters as usual were highly trained and nothing was too much trouble. The assistant Maitre De, Greg, was marvelous,courteous and extremely helpful as were our able friendly table waiters, Chai and John, and in the mornings the ever cheerful waiter Made'. Evening dishes were of the highest quality and varied, including venison rich in its game sauce, sirloin steak, lobster in herbed crust, and river trout.

Our cabin 4071 was midship, noiseless and clean. Our cabin stewardess was attentive and cheerful.

The Norwegian scenery was stunning, my mother who accompanied us in a single adjoining cabin thought the scenery of the Fjords heaven on earth. The Flam train took us through some of the most picturesque scenery I have ever had the privilage to see. This particular excursion is well recommended.

Shows on Balmoral were particularly good, the comedians Bret and Bob were extremely funny, more so than what you see on TV, and jokes were clean. The show company dancers were entertaining and on international night, ship staff held an extra show singing their socks off. Highly entertaining.

All in all a very enjoyable cruise indeed, we loved the Blackwatch, and I'm pleased to say the Balmoral was every bit as good. I hope Fred Olsen keep up the good work as after we got off this cruise we immediately decided to book 22 days with Balmoral to the Adriatic in October!

Robin & Penny Farrant,