Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by kimgstl: Oasis - Amazing Ship but Missed the Boat On Few Areas

kimgstl
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Oasis - Amazing Ship but Missed the Boat On Few Areas

Sail Date: September 2011

Sailed 9-10-11 / 7 days Eastern Caribbean on the Oasis / Balcony Cabin 6612. This was my 19th cruise and I have sailed many RCCL ships. This ship is amazing and has so much to offer! We literally couldn't get it all done in just 7 days. We saw most of the shows, did most of the activities and overall thought it was a good cruise. Exceptional service by EVERY team member!! Having been on a lot of ships I did think overall the friendly attitude by all team members was great but there were some areas the ship fell short.

Here are a few special highlights:

One thing we would highly recommend is the CHEF's TABLE for dinner. It was an expensive extra at $95 pp but worth every penny. Just the amount of wine you get served covers that expense. The service, food was superb. Also appreciated the extras sent to our cabin before hand and the cookbook gift given after.

Aqua Dreams Show & Come Fly with Me was very good.

Giovanni's Table for Lunch More

Cabin beds were very comfortable and better than any other ship I have sailed

Wonderful dEcor, very clean and many choices

What we didn't like:

It is very crowded and tended to be a lot of lines

Overall the food quality was FAIR. Seemed to be very hit or miss in the main dining room, buffets, etc. It almost seemed like they have downgraded the food in the main dining rooms to get you to pay extra for the specialty restaurants. They are charging extra for most of the restaurants. Johnny Rockets used to be free for food on other ships now it is a charge. We did have some good meals in the dining room.

We did do Giovanni's for lunch and paid an extra $30 for this. Very good food but then at the end of the meal they came to sell us a cookbook. ARGH!

The Windjammer Buffett and Park Central Cafe are HORRIBLE! It is very congested, very hard to find a table and overall food selection is poor. In Park Central they don't even have guest trays so you can easily take your plates.

Cabins - Our balcony cabin was very nice and very comfortable bed and beeding. In our cabin the electrical plugs in were UNDER the vanity cabinet and you had to crawl on the floor to get to them. Even the comdeian in the comdy club joked about how stupid this design was. TIP: Take an extension chord with a multi plus to use.

The Spas - we didn't do spa services because I have had enough sales pitches by Steiner Spas over my years. (if you have had a massage on a cruise ship before you will know what that means). We did use the fitness center which is nice and I took a yoga class. We did purchase the weeklong pass for the Thermal Suite. This was $179 per couple so it was not included and we even found on our bilk they charged us 15% grat bringing it to $205. When I questioned the 15% grat they did remove it right away. There are no attendants in the Thermal Spa so you are on your own.

My advice is to SKIP the spa and all services. It is very overpriced, and all they try to do is sell you more services.

Bottom line...would I do this cruise ship again? Maybe, if I was taking family I think it would be good because there is so much to do. If we are going as a couple then I would go back to a smaller ship and avoid the crowds. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 12 612

Our cabin was a great location and very quiet.