L'Austral Cruise Review by zippylucy

Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: ?
See More About: L'Austral Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Compagnie du Ponant Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: L'Austral Review (by Cruise Critic!)
L'Austral....a first class experience on a small ship
I have to confess that I am not easy to please so when I read some of the previous reviews of the L'Austral to the Dalmatian Coast, I was nervous. I have been across the Atlantic many times, including the SS France, and on one cruise line and have to say this was as good as it gets for this size ship/crew. The service was perfect, the food excellent and the attention to detail (eg not waking everybody on the ship to announce the daily tours at 8:00 am) help with whatever you needed and including moving your table the next night from very loud neighbors. There was a Tauk group on the ship but we never even noticed that it was there except we were told...certainly no preferential treatment.

This cruise was perfect for US...we weren't looking for night life etc. The cabins are small but extremely efficient and we didn't even use all our drawer space. On the negative side, the internet is ridiculously expensive and for me a bit difficult to navigate.

On the whole, our ship mates ages were from late 40's to 70's. A well dressed, sophisticated group of travelers, primarily in the 60's group. Many French, many Australians.

I hesitate to even write this review as I think the reviews are catching on and it will be more and more difficult to book on this and other Ponant cruises for Americans as word gets out across the ocean. We're already working on another.

Hope this reassure those of you have already booked.

Publication Date: 09/18/11