Carnival Valor Cruise Review by JennN: Loved the Excursions but the Valor Doesn't get High Marks

JennN
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Loved the Excursions but the Valor Doesn't get High Marks

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean

We cruised for the first time on the Carnival Dream in December 2010 and really enjoyed everything from the ship to the food to the entertainment but not so much the ports. Armed with more knowledge, we decided to book our second cruise, again on Carnival, and we just got back. I've got a lot to say!

We sailed on the Carnival Valor to the western Caribbean (Grand Caymen, Islad Roatan, Belize and Cozumel) September 4-11. What a difference a port and a ship make!

We will likely not leave from Miami again: the hotels are a lot pricier and the port authorities are a lot less nice. The embarkation process seemed a bit messier as well and not as organized or personal as it was out of Orlando. The process took about an hour and we found ourselves on board.

The first thing we did was sign up for the "Behind the Fun" tour - which they can't sell in port but they add you to the list - get there early as the tour is small. If you have never done this before, it's worth More the $95 pp. It's a behind the scenes tour of the ship on the last day. More on it later.

Our first impression of the ship is that it was older, the colors were really gimmicky and there was a lot more noticeable wear and tear on the ship (furniture, etc.).

We did make our way up to Lido for our lunch - lines were long, as expected but to our great surprise, the aft pool area was ADULTS ONLY. This was a great respite for us during the cruise and gave us an opportunity to meet people, have a few drinks, etc. However, whereas on the Dream there was yummy Indian food as well as a deli in the aft dining space, on this cruise only one of the sides was open and all you could get was pizza. Highly sad that there wasn't really an opportunity to experience other ethnic food.

Our stateroom, 6209, was decent. No complaints there. My wife did buy a door decorating thing for our anniversary MONTHS in advance and all I got was a note to say "sorry, we can't do it." It would have been nice for them to have contacted her to be able to surprise me in the same way, you know?

Some other information about our experience on the Valor:

-Dinners in the Lincoln Room were mediocre at best. Every time, my fish was overcooked. We did find great wait staff though: Wilbur and Alfredo, as well as Koko, our beverage service staffer who kept out colas filled throughout dining time.

-Food overall was NOTHING like on the Dream. Buffets, again, were mediocre.

-Scarlett's Steakhouse though was 100% better on the Valor than on the Dream. Worth the additional $30 pp.

-The Serenity Deck - we had an issue with a staff person who, instead of telling us the deck was closed, sprayed us with water. So we didn't return.

-The Spa - I have to downgrade here. We spent over $400 in services and we were pitched at the end after every one. After dropping this kind of money on something that was supposed to be relaxing, I tensed right back up. It is a shame but we won't visit the Spa ever again on Carnival.

-Comedy Club was fun, as always.

-Goose reminded me of a frat boy and we hardly saw him the entire time we were onboard. He was better than Butch though and not as [frequently] annoying with the announcements. Didn't seem to really be "in it" though.

-Lido dance party was a ball - but soooo hot :) Makes for some good exercise!

-Many ship excursions are PACKED with people. Get used to sitting so close you can smell what your neighbor had for lunch!

-Ship medics need to get some bedside manners

The Behind the Fun Tour was great - delve into what life is like as a member of the staff. See how they do the laundry, prepare your meals, take all those "crew only" staircases, go to the engine control room and up on deck with the Captain. Treats, pictures, a "fun bag" with goodies and champagne in the steakhouse all come with the pricetag! Totally worth it! Ask all the questions you want too. Tara was great.

Overall, and mostly because she chose some great excursions, we had a blast. But I think we have to stay with the Dream class of ships. Magic and Breeze due in US in 2012 and 2013! Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Balcony Upper 6209

Cabin 6209 was clean - it's near the smoking part of the boat though so it ruined our balcony time most mornings. Quiet location, never heard a peep!

I wanted to LOVE Belize soooo badly. A friend from college is from Belize. I think that, if our snorkel wasn't cancelled due to bad weather, it might have been a blast. But at the last minute, we had to pick another excursion and picked a ship tour: Altun Ha & Belize City Tour. So disorganized from the start and definitely not worth $50 pp.

The tour was horrible. The bus ride there was long and packed. The two guides made stuff up as they went along and they were unhelpful. There was no time to explore on your own so the group of 47 (yes, forty-seven) had to stay together at all times. I felt like I was in 3rd grade. This just wasn't fun at all. The "city tour" consisted of driving through the city and the guides pointing out how poor the area is. That was all.

There were plenty of shops though! Which is the only reason why it scored a 2.

(5.5)
I will start by saying that I didn't think I was going to care for Cozumel at all but it was the port we wound up loving the most. From the shopping to the excursion, it was worth it!!

Beach Buggy & Snorkel at Punta Sur - I highly recommend it!!!!!!! It was well worth the $100 pp through the ship.

Our guide, Papi Chulo (Juan), was GREAT. Friendly, eager to answer questions and honest about the area. I wish it could be 2 to a car - that's the 1st of only 2 complaints - but it was 4. Luckily we were paired with a couple who couldn't drive a standard and we got to drive the entire time.

The views were amazing. We wound up snorkeling at Chankanaab instead of Punta but it was the clearest water of all our snorkeling adventures. Lots of fish, cool refreshing water. I do wish they would have let us de-group and explore a bit more (complaint #2). After about 45 minutes, we changed, drank some aqua and headed for Punta Sur. After stopping at a small (but important) Mayan Ruin and then visiting some crocodiles, we ate a yummy meal on the beach, swam in some beautiful Caribbean water, hung out in a hammock and drive to the light house for some shopping, a beer and then headed back. The buggies, while a bit older, were still a lot of fun!

I would recommend doing this tour for sure.

Back at port, there was PLENTY of shopping (we spent $65 US and got souvenirs for over 10 people!). We loved Cozumel!

Read 3119 Cozumel Reviews

We had a blast in Grand Caymen. Though we were confused to what a "Tender" was (get off ship to another ship to take you to dock - water is too shallow for the Valor to dock close), we made our way to our first adventure. Since we booked the cruise with Orbitz, we were given a free excursion. We decided on snorkeling since it's our favorite thing - we went with Captain Marvin's and they were great. Since we had two booked for that day, they assured us we'd be back at port in time and we were. First, we swam with stingrays - what an amazing experience. Next, was a snorkel by the reef. Both were fun times and I'd highly recommend booking them. The office was across the street from the port.

Next, we did a ship tour: Shipwreck & Reef Snorkeling. This one was not as great as the first but was fun. Shorter, but fun. Too close to the boat (took us a longer time getting back in line to tender!).

Back at port, we visited a vendor and ate Beef Patties and fresh lemonade that was all AMAZING. We also had a coconut. Beefed up prices but worth the few bucks more!

Sadly, renting a cabana in Mahogany Bay wasn't all we hoped for. The ship is docked way too close to port. The water isn't the clear, Caribbean water you hope for either. And, for a snorkel, it's entirely too shallow (despite being super careful and having experience, I got hurt on some coral/rocks).

The cabana itself was nice. It came with a hammock, 3 sitting areas - one inside, one outside and one by the beach but the semi-private beach you pay for with the rental get inundated by people who can't be bothered to read signs. We also got floats. Our wait staff was okay but he seemed more preoccupied on his phone and being in the shade.

Overall, it was clean and safe but not what we were hoping for.

Read 1649 Roatan Reviews