Carnival Victory Cruise Review by michellejed

Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Pleasant cruise
We chose this cruise because we loved Old San Juan and wanted to spend additional time in port, so we stayed one day before at Radisson Ambassador( Just OK, nothing special) and one day after at the Gallery Inn in Old San Juan.(Just as the web site describes it!)

Embarkation: Got to the port about 10:30 am, knowing we could not get on yet. We like to people watch so that was the plan, plus I turned Platinum this time and knew we could also use the VIP lounge.

The lounge was smaller then I expected but a nice place to sit and relax. They had sandwiches and cookies along with coffee and lemonade. I want to say we were on the ship about 12:30 but I just don't remember the exact time.

Once we were able to go to our rooms we headed to our 4j on deck 7. We have had a 4j before on the Glory deck 10 and let me just say that not all 4j's are created equal! Our room was very small and had one closet, set of 3 drawers and another cabinet with a few shelves and the safe in it. There was a T.V. that stuck out into the room but put so only one person could watch it while in bed. The bathroom was also smaller then a regular bathroom with the exception of the shower, it was built for handicap but I honestly don't think any one in a wheel chair could get around in this cabin!

This room also was located at the end of the hall so when ever the kids( there were very few on the ship but I think they all were down our hall!) would run down the hall it sounded like a heard of elephants coming at you! This room also had a lot of movement, I don't mind it but some may think it was a bit much.

We had no issues with our room stewards and they did a great job, brought us all we asked for and promptly.

Food: We are early risers so never had an issue at breakfast and the food was good. We ate in the main dining room at night and had excellent waitstaff. There is enough on the menu for every one to find some thing they liked. No problems with ordering extra. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they gave you a menu as soon as you sat down and didn't wait for the rest of your table mates. I am sure this is to move things along but I preferred to wait. Lunch was another matter, always long lines at the buffet! The food for the most part was good.

Activities: This was a port intensive cruise with only one sea day scheduled, we ended up with 2 sea days because of TS Marie and missed St Martin. There was all the usual things to do and there was a midnight buffet, we didn't make it and another night there was another buffet I think, we also didn't make that one. This might have been due to the fact that we took on new pax in Barbados so it was like a sail away for them to. Plenty to keep you busy with shows every night.

Ports: We enjoyed all the ports we visited and never felt unsafe at all. We did all our own planning and booked tours on our own.St Thomas was just shopping. We took the public bus in Barbados to Paynes Beach to swim with the turtles. On St. Lucia we took a wonderful tour with James Tours and on St Kitts we took a tour with Thenford Grey, another great tour.

Passengers: This cruise originated out of San Juan and had a large number of Spanish speaking people on board. I was surprised that more of the announcements(which were fewer then any other ship I have been on)were not also said in Spanish, a few were but not all. There were few children on this cruise and outside of the the ones by our room, they were well behaved.

Disembarkation: SLOW SLOW SLOW. Being platinum they gave us 2 choices, one we could meet at 6:45 with our bags to get off with no assist or 2Nd we could meet at 7:15 to get off and collect our bags. We were staying in Old San Juan for another day so there was no need to get off the ship right away and we could not check into our hotel until 3, so we decided to stay on the ship thinking we would just get off at the end. About 10 am they had only called a few numbers so we thought we would just go get in line and get off. We got in line on deck 1 to get off the ship on deck zero. I am not sure we would have brought our own luggage if we had known we had to take it down stairs , the elevators did not go to deck zero when we tried. Usually you get off on deck 3 but that was being used for non-US citizens. We were only in line about 30 minutes then let off and got into the customs line. They only had 2 agents for the whole ship so that is what was taking so long. I don't know if that was the norm but you would think they would have more.

Miscellaneous: Loved the Platinum perks! The free laundry was the best! I always had special instructions for my clothes and they always came back the right way. I think there were less announcements on this cruise but I wish we could have had more information concerning the TS Maria, no weather channel on T.V. to follow. Also no comment cards, bring them back! Park West was always putting stuff under our door, a waste of paper!! The sales in the shops are a joke, same stuff over and over again and a very small selection compared to other cruises. There were always chairs available both pool side and Serenity. I liked the layout of Serenity on the Glory better then the Victory.

Overall we had a great time and always love cruising. I am not sure if I will sail on the Victory again, cost to fly there is more then most other ports.

Publication Date: 09/15/11