Carnival Victory Cruise Review by michellejed: Pleasant cruise

Pleasant cruise

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We chose this cruise because we loved Old San Juan and wanted to spend additional time in port, so we stayed one day before at Radisson Ambassador( Just OK, nothing special) and one day after at the Gallery Inn in Old San Juan.(Just as the web site describes it!)

Embarkation: Got to the port about 10:30 am, knowing we could not get on yet. We like to people watch so that was the plan, plus I turned Platinum this time and knew we could also use the VIP lounge.

The lounge was smaller then I expected but a nice place to sit and relax. They had sandwiches and cookies along with coffee and lemonade. I want to say we were on the ship about 12:30 but I just don't remember the exact time.

Once we were able to go to our rooms we headed to our 4j on deck 7. We have had a 4j before on the Glory deck 10 and let me just say that not all 4j's are created equal! Our room was very small and had one closet, set of 3 drawers and another cabinet with a few shelves and the safe More in it. There was a T.V. that stuck out into the room but put so only one person could watch it while in bed. The bathroom was also smaller then a regular bathroom with the exception of the shower, it was built for handicap but I honestly don't think any one in a wheel chair could get around in this cabin!

This room also was located at the end of the hall so when ever the kids( there were very few on the ship but I think they all were down our hall!) would run down the hall it sounded like a heard of elephants coming at you! This room also had a lot of movement, I don't mind it but some may think it was a bit much.

We had no issues with our room stewards and they did a great job, brought us all we asked for and promptly.

Food: We are early risers so never had an issue at breakfast and the food was good. We ate in the main dining room at night and had excellent waitstaff. There is enough on the menu for every one to find some thing they liked. No problems with ordering extra. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they gave you a menu as soon as you sat down and didn't wait for the rest of your table mates. I am sure this is to move things along but I preferred to wait. Lunch was another matter, always long lines at the buffet! The food for the most part was good.

Activities: This was a port intensive cruise with only one sea day scheduled, we ended up with 2 sea days because of TS Marie and missed St Martin. There was all the usual things to do and there was a midnight buffet, we didn't make it and another night there was another buffet I think, we also didn't make that one. This might have been due to the fact that we took on new pax in Barbados so it was like a sail away for them to. Plenty to keep you busy with shows every night.

Ports: We enjoyed all the ports we visited and never felt unsafe at all. We did all our own planning and booked tours on our own.St Thomas was just shopping. We took the public bus in Barbados to Paynes Beach to swim with the turtles. On St. Lucia we took a wonderful tour with James Tours and on St Kitts we took a tour with Thenford Grey, another great tour.

Passengers: This cruise originated out of San Juan and had a large number of Spanish speaking people on board. I was surprised that more of the announcements(which were fewer then any other ship I have been on)were not also said in Spanish, a few were but not all. There were few children on this cruise and outside of the the ones by our room, they were well behaved.

Disembarkation: SLOW SLOW SLOW. Being platinum they gave us 2 choices, one we could meet at 6:45 with our bags to get off with no assist or 2Nd we could meet at 7:15 to get off and collect our bags. We were staying in Old San Juan for another day so there was no need to get off the ship right away and we could not check into our hotel until 3, so we decided to stay on the ship thinking we would just get off at the end. About 10 am they had only called a few numbers so we thought we would just go get in line and get off. We got in line on deck 1 to get off the ship on deck zero. I am not sure we would have brought our own luggage if we had known we had to take it down stairs , the elevators did not go to deck zero when we tried. Usually you get off on deck 3 but that was being used for non-US citizens. We were only in line about 30 minutes then let off and got into the customs line. They only had 2 agents for the whole ship so that is what was taking so long. I don't know if that was the norm but you would think they would have more.

Miscellaneous: Loved the Platinum perks! The free laundry was the best! I always had special instructions for my clothes and they always came back the right way. I think there were less announcements on this cruise but I wish we could have had more information concerning the TS Maria, no weather channel on T.V. to follow. Also no comment cards, bring them back! Park West was always putting stuff under our door, a waste of paper!! The sales in the shops are a joke, same stuff over and over again and a very small selection compared to other cruises. There were always chairs available both pool side and Serenity. I liked the layout of Serenity on the Glory better then the Victory.

Overall we had a great time and always love cruising. I am not sure if I will sail on the Victory again, cost to fly there is more then most other ports. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Interior Empress 7205

The cabin was for handicap but I doubt some one in a wheelchair could move around much, They would not be able to get to the closet and shelves and up to the vanity without moving furniture around. The T.V is also in an odd place and stuck out into the room. There is no way for both people to watch the T.V from each bed at the same time.

We wanted to swim with the turtles but didn't want to pay the high tour fee so we took a public bus for $1 each way to Paynes Bay Beach and rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for $20. We swam out to the area with the turtles and also saw a turtles nest and the eggs and baby turtles on the beach. There were 2 police officers up and down the beach and kept most of the vendors away. There was a small bar and bathroom right there also. Great day.

Read 703 Barbados Reviews

This was my favorite tour with Thenford Grey. We went to the Batik factory with small gardens and then to Brimstone Fort, we had a chance to stay at a beach also for a while but we chose to go back to the ship, we were leaving at 3 instead of 5 because of TS Maria.

Thenford was very informative and gave a great tour! Loved the Fort and his driving skills around the tight turns was perfect!!

The island is very laid back and slow moving and I would consider a trip back .

We had booked a tour with James Tours ahead of time and when we got to the pier he was there waiting for us. There were to be 6 other people for the tour but they never showed up! We left at shortly after 9 am and stopped for coffee and also stopped to pick up James Dog Daisy ( he asked us first if we minded) James was very informative and we liked our tour for the most part. We went to areas he said the other tours don't take you, like this development on the northern most tip of the island.

He showed us some celebrities homes and new construction built on the cliffs.

At the beginning of the tour he asked us if we could skip the volcano part and we said sure thinking it was the stinky drive through part but it turns out it was also the Pitons part of the tour also, we never saw them!

Over all it was a good tour

We have been to St Thomas several times and wanted to just shop this time so we stayed by the port and were back on the ship by 1pm. We did encounter some rude taxi drivers and store clerks.

Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews