Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by bklynangel

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by bklynangel
Allure of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Member Name: bklynangel
Cruise Date: August 2011
Cabin Category: D5
Entertainment 5+

Allure of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
My travels started on August 18th, 2011 on the Amtrak, silver meteor from Trenton, New Jersey to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. My husband and I had a sleeper car which is a very comfortable way to travel by train. The ride overnight was pretty bumpy.The engineer kept putting his breaks on and blowing the horn through the North Carolina and South Carolina streets, most of the night. We both did manage to get some sleep.

We finally arrived the next night, August 19th alittle late , around 7 pm. We booked the Renassaunce Hotel several weeks before for two nights before the cruise, because they have a shuttle to the pier and a full breakfast, so we thought it was a great buy.

We were givin a room that was a connecting room and we had pretty noisy neighbors that kept us up most of the night. I went to the front desk and they assured me that the neighbors would be leaving by 10 am the next morning and it should quiet down. The next day , we had plans with friends who live in ft lauderdale , who we met last year. We were to meet some friends also who were on the Oasis sailing with us last year also. That day, we spend some time at our friends hotel on the beach, had lunch and swam in the pool there and then got ready that evening to watch the Oasis of the seas sailaway at John Lloyd park. After that, diner with some friends on 17th street "Out back". It was great seeing some great friends after a year of chatting with them and not seeing them.

The next morning, we were to sail on the Allure of the seas.

We left the hotel at 10:45 am and caught the shuttle to the pier. Embarkment went very smoothly and i was on the ship within 15 mins. We were one of the first on the ship and headed to the park cafe for the famous roast beef sandwich, which was pretty bad with alot of fat the first day. I was disappointed, but decided to check back on another day, which was much better, same old delicious sandwich.

We were on the 9th floor, Room 9582..oceanview balcony fwd. Not the perfect room unless you like quiet. It was in an area that was hard to get to alot of places with alot of walking involved. The rooms were very nice, our soda package was ready and my water package was already in the room.

We received our suitecases early, so we were able to get everything put away before the muster drill.

Then we were to get ready to meet others for the sailaway at the back of the ship.

In the evening we had reservations for Giavannis table. The food was delicious , but i felt rushed. Fourty five minutes and we were done with diner. It cost twenty dollars a person for diner, food is worth it.

That night we had "Chicago" reservations. I was exhausted and not interested and besides it was boring to me.....didnt like the props. Hairspray was a much better family production.

The next day, we were supposed to be in Nassau, but due to hurricane Irene, Captain Zini decided to skip it and do it on our way back on saturday.

The seas were pretty rough at times and some got seasick. Me and my husband always sail during hurricane season, so we are used to it and dont get seasick, lucky us.We did alot of shopping on the ship the first day at sea and just looking around and experiencing all the stuff on the ship. At this point, the weather was taking a turn for the worse.

The second night, we had OceanAria booked. It was an excellent show.

The next day was another sea day. We spent alot of this day inside doing trivia games, 70's and 80's. My Husband and I an our friends won the 70's trivia and got Royal caribbean hats.

That night we had reservations for Comedy. Since I have a great sence of Humor, i laughed and laughed and loved the show.. We also saw a boring three D movie which I never went to see, but thats another story you will figure out at the end of this review.

We also had our Cruisecritic meet and mingle on the second sea day. It was fantastic meeting all the people we have kept in touch with and I enjoyed hearing alot of the stories. We did a gift exchange which worked out great. I also enjoyed the sea days watching to see how rough the pool water was getting and one night the capt had to close the top decks cause of the high winds, so we all stayed in.

The food was alittle different than what i expected. I found it sometimes to be cold and more spicier than on the Oasis.

I was surprised that there were no cover or shady spots in the solerium, that was one of the first things i noticed.

The entertainment was fantastic, one of the best...we both enjoyed all the shows.

The headliner show was the Nelson Twins and I would say we were all so very lucky to see a great tribute to their dad Ricky Nelson. Both guys were friendly and didn't mind us taking photos. I especially love their song "After the rain".

Our waiter and waitress were the best , service was great.

We had a very nice cabin Stewart who was always there if you needed him. He never did call us by our names tho.

I do say the pools do get crowded if you didn't get there early , so the best times to swim are in the mornings.

alot of times the sanitizers ran out in the dining room and didn't get refilled in time for diner.

I didnt like the location of my dining spot...it was right by the front door and everyone had to pass by our table to get to theirs.

The ports were all very nice.....st. Thomas, St. Maarten and Nassau.

Disembarkment was a nightmare...took 45 mins to get to the suitecases. We were all held in line.

Our trip home by Amtrak was cancelled till Sept 1st , due to Hurricane Irene . Thank God for credit cards cause we had to stay in ft lauderdale and extra four days. This was a disaster to me cause i wanted to get home by this time.

To add to this disaster, both me and my husband got sick with eye infections , I'm still battling mine after three weeks, i brought something home with me i wish i never got.

So to sun up this continuation of my review, If I would sail again and had the choice of the Oasis or Allure...I would definitely choose the Oasis.

Publication Date: 09/14/11