Carnival Valor Cruise Review by weebles: Am I Getting Spoiled?

weebles
Member Since 2005
1,748 Posts

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruises

Am I Getting Spoiled?

Sail Date: September 2011

Because I've seen review after review with the same ol' stuff, I'm going to be a little different and just go over the things I thought were either really bad or really good. PLEASE bear in mind that every cruise and every cruiser is different, so opinions will vary passenger by passenger.

The physical condition of the Valor was basically very good, including our stateroom which had a standard balcony. We chose a port side cabin so the views of the ports were amazing. Unlike our past experiences with balcony cabins, we spent a lot of time enjoying this one. It was a small balcony and the chairs had seen better days, but because the weather was fantastic and the wind was minimal, we took full advantage of having one.

Down to the good, the bad and the ugly. We found the taste of the food to be pretty good by cruise standards. Their standouts for me were the escargot, Chocolate Melting Cake, all of the fish dishes, the freshly-made sandwiches at the deli and the de More chevre pizza. Often, though, the food arrived cool. This was true in both the dining room and Rosie's buffet. They offer Egg-Beaters which is a healthy choice and small sacrifice for omelet lovers. Will someone PLEASE inform the line cooks that bacon should be cooked thoroughly and not be served with greasy, dripping fat? Thanks, in advance. This isn't the only ship that fails mightily in the eyes of bacon lovers? Also good were the games the crew lead us in during the cruise like trivia although they could have offered a few more things to do during port days for those who chose not to leave the ship. It would be SO appreciated if Carnival would drop the "ship on a stick" prize and move on to something else. All of the other cruise lines have things like koozie cups, key chains, even t-shirts! The plastic statues of the individual ships are OK, but it would be nice if they'd offer a choice of prizes when you win instead of repeatedly offering the same thing. People who enjoyed the on-board games went home with 6 or 7 trophies.

The way Carnival rewards passengers for frequent travel is commendable, especially offering priority boarding and tendering. They finally offered a new logo item, which was very appreciated and something we will actually use in the future, an insulated Carnival lunch bag.

There are so many aspects of cruising: the food, crew, room size, etc. and that's why I'm just emphasizing the few things that stuck out in my mind. The biggest memory I'll keep of my experience on the Valor is the constant small of cigarette smoke. For a non-smoker it was really gross and needless to say, gave the ship a horrible, stale smell that seemed impossible to get away from. Their daily paper told people to smoke is "designated areas." Period. Very little information was given on where smoking was allowed so it seemed like I was constantly running into it. I like cruising with Carnival, but due to the smoky air, if I have another option, I would choose it.

As a reminder, these are only the views of one passenger. I've been on a lot of cruises, and these are just the things that stood out to me. Carnival has come a long way since our first cruise on the Jubilee. I don't fear it as the "party cruise line" anymore. Don't be afraid...give Carnival another shot. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Balcony Upper 6324

Cabin was above and below smoking areas and apparently the ventalition system on this ship isn't that great. A problem for me, but maybe no one else. At least it was quiet.

OK. So I don't care for Belize. The fact that the port is surrounded by a gate is intimidating. The little shops at the port had some rather unique things but basically the same ol' stuff. I found some awesome 3-D pictures that are going to look great on my wall. The last time we were there we went outside the fence to get a few bottles of Ginger Beer (yummy...NOT beer) and I regretted it. While crossing the public street I tripped over a metal grate that had come dislodged and made a royal mess of my knee. I was immediately surrounded by "medics" and "nurses" (i.e. citizens) who kept trying to administer "medical care." It was a really bad experience, and they actually tried to sell me a bandage for $10.

Parts of Belize are beautiful and peaceful, like Ambergris Cay. I just think it's sad that you have to jump through hoops to get there instead of having a safe beach for free.

Good ol' Cozumel. What can I say that hasn't been said a million times? The people are wonderful and the store owners are not anywhere near as pushy as those in Jamaica. (We avoid Jamaica at all costs due to safety concerns.) The water is gorgeous and just about any shore offers excellent snorkeling. We went to the Money Bar which is located where Dzul Ha used to be. The beach was clean and you weren't pressured to buy anything to use the beach, although we always order something to help the local economy. We didn't shop in Cozumel this time which is rare. In most cases you get what you pay for. You have to watch that what they sell as "silver" is actually stamped ".925" because many sellers will flat out lie about jewelry being silver. They might say "yes" because it's silver colored. I don't know, but before I learned to look for the stamp I got ripped off too.

I always find Cozumel to be a fun, safe place to visit. I've been there by myself before and felt confident and safe.

Read 3099 Cozumel Reviews

We have been to GC before and knew what to expect. We booked a private excursion along with several other Cruise Critters and it was fantastic! Due to our experiences in the past, we are not afraid to book excursions outside of the cruise ships. The island is clean and very enjoyable. I always feel very safe in Grand Cayman, although I don't consider it a good shopping port because their prices seemed higher than other island.

Oh how I LOVE Roatan! We've always found the people to be friendly and honest although I know a fellow Cruise Critter who had a bad experience with a new company on the island. We always contact the same taxi driver (personal e-mail) and hire him to take us where we want to go, zip-lining, snorkeling, etc.

This time we made what I consider a mistake and stayed at Mahogany Bay to try our luck at snorkeling and for beach enjoyment. When we first got there the water was in pretty good condition, but within an hour the water was so filthy I actually felt dirty when I came out.

I noticed quite a few passengers taking taxi's right at the port, but we've found that if you walk up the hill to the left, the taxi drivers don't have to pay Carnival a premium for their services.

Roatan is beautiful...Mahogany Bay is not. Most other ships dock at Coxen Hole.

I am always amazed that the Lenca pottery and beautiful wood items are so inexpensive yet beautiful. Every time we go there I have to bring home something special for little ol' me.

Read 1645 Roatan Reviews