Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by lulu25

Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: JS
See More About: Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated

Northbound Sept 2
The Good

Left vancouver on a beautiful day. Weather then turned foggy and cloudy but this is what is to be expected when cruising to alaska. My junior suite was very nice, better than expected. A little wear and tear. I had the attendent remove all items from the refrigerator and to also keep my ice bucket full. This allowed me to keep a constant supply of ice water. I did not want to pay the overly expensive price for Evian water which I think tastes awful.

My cabin attendant was excellent, the best I have ever had on any cruise including on the six star Regent line. I ended up giving him an extra 50.00 tip. He made sure I had extra coffee and creamers as well as just being so attentive.

I had a lot o fun on the cruise. Took the rainforest santuary hike at ketchikan and saw three adult bears and cubs. Plus two pink footed seagulls, which I had never seen before. A friend of mine owns a bar there and the bartender gave me good recommendations for buying jewelry, Julies and Alaska Bear company.

Juneau was rainy and sunny. I went to mendenhall with Lisa and her group from the meet and mingle. Thank you lisa for a great time. The glacier was as amazing as ever.

Skagway started out gray and then got beautiful. I took the bicycle ride to Dyea and it was wonderful. Due to heavy rains the mushrooms were going crazy and were so beautiful.

Cruising out of Skagway was amazing as the weather cleared. Lots of whales and beautiful sunset.

Hoonah was stormy but had a great time with Capt Shawn of Glacier Wind Charters on our whale watching trip. Highly recommend.

Hubbard Glacier was incredible. My second time there and not disappointed.

I think having a balcony is essential on an alaska cruise. so much to see from the water.

I met wonderful fun people on this cruise. More about that below.

The Bad

The bad part of this cruise was the Cascades Dining room food. the only reason I continued to eat there, except on formal nites (2) was to spend the time with my tablemates. They were fun and wonderful and a joy to be with.

This is my third RCL cruise and the worst dining room food ever, on any cruise. I am not that picky however the meat was either undercooked or overcooked. The "fresh" salmon was anything but. I live in Washington so I know fresh salmon. This was overcooked and very fishy tasting, which is not how fresh salmon tastes. The worst meal was the last nite of the cruise. They offered NY steak. Ordered it. Got about half way through and started to taste that old, rotten meat taste. Stopped eating it right away so I wouldnt get sick. The Windjammer had much fresher food and better food and selection. I did not go on this cruise for the food, more for the alaska experience and meeting new people. However i do think for the price we pay and the additional cost of beverages and services on board plus somewhat required gratuities, RCL needs to step it up. I will probably not cruise with them again due to this.

Publication Date: 09/14/11