Westerdam Cruise Review by californiacruiser

Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: VA
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
Westerdam Alaska Explorer
I booked this cruise almost 4 weeks before sailing. We had gone on the same itenerary when the Noordam was doing the similar cruise and we had a wonderful time. It was the same month September as well. We have cruised Holland America and have been happy in the past. This time we were not as pleased.

Checking in was smooth funny though the man that checked us in did not say anything about the Mariners lunch. I asked him and then he said oh there was one in the Vista dining room. We went to our cabin first and put some items in our cabin and proceeded to the lunch. It was very nice.

I must say that areas on the ship looked worn and in need of refreshing as well as it needed a thourough cleaning. On the decks by the pool and in the rooms there were always enough blankets for the cold Alaska weather, there were none inside the cabin and very few on deck. We prebooked the Thermal suite. comparing it to the time we were on the Noordam it was absolutely unkempt. Towels piling up, the floors overly wet. I never saw the stone chairs wiped down as I did the last time we were there, no music either this time.

The whole 7 days our cabin steward never introduced himself or his assistant this was a first. The very first night we had our do not disturb in the door as we were getting ready for dinner, this was 6:30. There was a knock on the door shouting housekeeping, I opened the door and he said that he is doing turn down and if we wanted it, I said that we were getting ready for dinner and if he could come back, I asked him for ice and he proceeded to tell me to get him the ice bucket. I have never, ever had that happen and he did not even at that time say his name or introduce himself.

We had as you wish dining which I was sceptical of, but it turned out fine, most were great servers. We did eat in Le cirque and we both felt that it was not worth the up charge at all. We also ate in the Pinnacle grill and the menu and food was very good, just this particular night the ship had to back in so the view was of the dock in Victoria and they were refueling and the smell was almost sickening. Also this was my husbands actual birthday day and of course there was no celebration as someone dropped the ball.

We had rough weather so the Captain arranged Tracy Arm instead of Hubbard Glacier we have been to Hubbard Glacier before and the Glacier Bay so this was new for us, it was very beautiful to see I do prefer the other two though.

If you are going to play the slots I would say don't waste your money I never saw anyone winning.

The shows were pretty good, Joel Mason was on board as well as the last cruise we took, but he was so much better the last time.

Bottom line there was something lacking this time from the whole crew, we probably won't be as anxious to return to them anytime soon.

Publication Date: 09/14/11