Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by MR LED: WOW WOW WOW

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

WOW WOW WOW

Sail Date: September 2011

Background: My wife and I are mid 30's, have been on 4 RCCL's and 1 DCL cruise. (We are hooked!!) My wife's parents are in their mid 60's, this was their 1st cruise. (They are now hooked!!)

Pre Cruise: Flew into Miami late Friday night and stayed at the Hyatt Place Miami. We got up late Saturday morning, picked-up some last minute items at the store, and drove to FLL. I dropped the luggage and everyone at the port and returned the rent car to FLL airport. There is a free rental car shuttle bus that takes you back to the port from the FLL airport. It took less than 15 minutes to go thought security, check-in, and step on the ship. It was 1:00 PM so we went directly to our cabins to drop off our carry-on's. (WOW it was a great start!!)

Staterooms: We were both in ocean view balcony cabins (12718 & 12722) located starboard aft. The beds in both cabins were located near the closet, which made it difficult to get into and made the room appear smaller. The plugs were More located under the desk but we brought a short extension cord (problem solved). Yes there was some basic toiletries like shampoo, hand lotion, soap, shower cap, etc.. Our Stateroom Attendant, Joseph, was excellent. He keep the room spotless, we had towel animals every night, and even folded any clothes left out. There are public aft balconies at the end of hall on floors 11 and 12. However it felt like it was our own "private suite balcony" to look down onto the boardwalk, watch the aqua shows and movies on the big screen, or just a quiet spot to take a nap. NOTE: the ship docked on starboard side every time.

Day 1 : 1:30 PM lunch at Park Cafe, very good sandwiches and salads. Ship departed FLL at 5:15. We had a My Time Reservation in the main dining room on deck 5 at 6:45 PM. The food and service in the main dining room was better than any of my past cruises. (It's still not 5 star but better than your local Olive Garden.) Our show tonight was Hairspray at 9:00 PM. Hairspray was excellent. RCCL has stepped it up with the quality of entertainment on the Oasis. I always felt most of the entertainment on other ships was below average and I would have walked out if it was a show on land but the Oasis productions are fabulous, sorry DCL. The cruise director, for our sailing, was Amy, she was just OK. I think she was new so let's give her a chance, as my wife said to me.

Day 2: AT SEA... Breakfast was at the Windjammer. good selection but I was disappoint to see no omelet station. The Windjammer was always crowded but the staff was helpful in finding a table for us. Lunch at Solarium Bistro (free) buffet was Asian inspired which was much more limited than the Windjammer but less crowded and pretty tasty. We hung around the pool most of the day. Lots of chairs and chair hogs, but we always found chairs in the shade. The pools are crowded so no swimming but it's still nice to cool off. Tonight was formal night. I am in a suit everyday and its vacation so we choose to be causal and go to the Seafood Shack for dinner. The Seafood Shack food is just OK, really not worth the price per al cart. RCCL should rethink this. Either change the restaurant food or go back to a flat fee. The show tonight was Oasis of Dreams at 9:00 PM. They must have consulted Cirque Du Soleil because again it was excellent. NOTE: remember to make your reservation for all shows and dinners before you leave for the cruise.

Day 3: Labadee, Haiti... Breakfast at Johnny Rockets (free). Very limited menu and really was not good. We spent most the day on the beach just lounging under a shade tree. Perfect. The island BBQ buffet was good. Remember they stop serving by 1:30 PM. They now have a towel return/exchange at the pier just before you get on the ship. Good job RCCL. We went to the Comedy Show tonight at 9:00 PM. They are very funny. After the Comedy Club we went to Love & Marriage at 10:30 PM. As always, hilarious.

Day 4: Falmouth, Jamaica... Breakfast was Park Cafe, very good. Excursion today was the Zip Line Tour at Rosehall thought RCCL at 11:30 AM. It was just us 4 and one other couple, which made it feel like a private tour. We took a van to Rosehall (45 mins). When we arrived we were glade to not be the first group in the morning as there must have been 20 or 30 people jammed in a bus. We got fitted for your gear and then took a 4x4 safari truck up a very bumpy dirt road (15 mins). There are 7 horizontal zip lines and 2 vertical drops. My in-laws have never been on a zip line before and I did not think they would be able to do it, but after the 1st zip line they were laughing and having so much fun. Great tour. We returned back to the pier at about 3:30 PM. Yes , It's still under construction. We shared some Jerk Chicken/Pork and Jamaican Beef Patties. YUM! Tonight was dinner at Izumi Sushi. Again YUM! And off to the Headliner show at 10:30 PM. He was just OK typical old school RCCL entertainment.

Day 5: AT SEA... We watched the 3D movie How to Train your Dragon today in the Opus Theater. It was Formal Night or should I call it Lobster day. I think I may have ate 3 and my belly was full but somehow I only gain 1 pound from this cruise. You will walk a lot, it's a BIG SHIP. Tonight's show was Frozen in Time. It was an OK show, I like the ice shows from the Freedom better. This show just did not really have much of a story line or even make sense. Then off to the 70's dance party. CHEESEY but still fun.

Day 6: Cozumel, Mexico.... After we pushed a improperly docked CSL ship out of our parking spot we were off to Margaretville to meet Wildtours for our ATV Jungle and Beach Tour. It was raining this morning and oh boy we got muddy. All in good fun. The sun came out just in time for use to be taken to the beach to clean off and have a nice lunch on a semi private beach. Then the tour company took us back to the ship or downtown. We choose downtown to do some shopping. Tonight's show was Come Fly with Me at 10:30. GREAT GREAT show. Also tonight was Quest at 11:30. Must Do.

Day 7: AT SEA... Johnny Rockets for lunch. We always loved JR's on other ships but not on the Oasis, not good or worth the extra sir charge. We watched the Splish Splash Aqua Dive show which was good. Giovanni's for dinner. I personally did not care for Giovanni's or it may just have been what I ordered. I suggest to listen to your waiter recommendations. As the extra things he brought to the table were much better than what we ordered. We packed our bags after dinner. SAD DAY. We choose to do luggage valet. Worth the extra $20 per person to just pack your bags leave them outside your door and then they magically appear at the baggage claim in your home city. Tonight there was not a show so we went to the 3D movie Megamind and caught the last half of the Comedy Improve - Throw me a Line at 10:30

Day 8: This is usually the worst day but not so bad on the Oasis. They do not come knocking on your door or turn the loud speaker on in your cabin to push you off the ship. It was very nice. We woke up around 7:30 AM then had a nice breakfast at Park Cafe. No loud announcements. Once we were done with breakfast we just walked off the ship, boarded a free shuttle rental car bus to the airport. We picked up a car for the day. We drove to South Beach for a few hours and lunch at Havana Cuban Restaurant. YUM YUM! Then back to FLL to catch a 4:30 flight home. What a wonder vacation and great ship. I would recommended the Oasis of the Seas to anyone. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 10 12722