Avalon Affinity Cruise Review by Philip Robson: First Timers

First Timers

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Other

My wife and I have been celebrating 40 years married this year and our final holiday was our first ever cruise.

We mostly travel fully independent and had doubts over cruises as being not our thing.

The Avalon Affinity trip from Basel to Amsterdam has been a very pleasant surprise and we both enjoyed the overall holiday.

It has confirmed to us that a ship of 140 or so passengers is enough for us and we will avoid large ship ocean cruises.

The crew on the Affinity are first class and a daily pleasure to be with.

The food overall is very good but not fine dining,.this is not a criticism,feeding 140 people 3 times a day is hard work,but far better we imagine and having spoken with fellow passengers on the Affinity they tell far superior to cooking upon an industrial scale for 3000 !

At 61 and 63 my wife and I found ourselves in the youngest 10% on the ship so it would not be for the under 50`s.

The organised tours each day More made my wife and I feel too controlled so we chose which to avoid and do our own thing,which was fine.

Using the Affinity as our floating hotel was fine with us and some of the organised tours could be taken up without tagging along with the guide and the constant delivery from a script,no offence meant,it was just not for us.

The night life on ship was great a hard core of say 25 of the guests danced every night to Laslo on his piano or Hammond,we had a great time.

The bar staff are all fantastic and the restaurant staff likewise.

The ship is spotlessly clean throughout and the cabins and maids top drawer.

We have stayed in hotels at 4 star that are not a patch on the Avalon affinity experience.

We would use Avalon again for a different river cruise and have no hesitation in recommending friends and family to use them and the Affinity team in particular. Less

Read more Avalon Affinity cruise reviews >>