Carnival Glory Cruise Review by binajack: Great getaway for two 40-something kids!

binajack
Member Since 2008

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Great getaway for two 40-something kids!

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We got to the boat around noon, dropped our bags with the porters outside and only had a short wait (maybe 30 min or so) to wait in line before we were on our way to get on the ship. I have cruised before (it was my 4th cruise) however it was my husbands first cruise. We walked around the ship for a bit, grabbed some lunch at the buffet then wandered to deck 10 to see if our cabin was ready...and it was before the announcement was made. We had cabin 1042 and Dave was our room steward and he was WONDERFUL.

I thought the cabin was larger then the ones I had previously stayed in when I cruised on the NCL Sun and Dawn, maybe it was just the layout but I know that the bathroom in our cabin on the Glory was definitely bigger.

Hint....when you are leaving port, go to the very front of deck 10 (you can access it by going past the cabins on deck 10 toward the front) and you get a great view of the Statute of Liberty on your way out. It's quieter then the areas near the Lido More desk and the crazy loud music.

Had lunch 2x at the Mongolian Wok...totally worth the wait in line and there was ALWAYS a wait. I even stood in line for 10 min before it opened and I still waited for 10 min. If you do the Wok take two bowls....one for veggies and one for noodles. The food is really hot and fresh whereas most of the food on the regular buffet really wasn't that hot.

Another favorite of mine was the cheese pizza at the 24 hour pizza joint at the back of the Lido deck. Not as good as the stuff we had in NYC but pretty darn yummy.

We just walked around both ports (Saint John and Halifax) and didn't take any tours. If you are looking for free wi-fi in either location....find a coffee shop (not a Starbucks) or small restaurant AWAY from the ship. All of the wi-fi locations that we found close to the ship were crowded with a lot of crew (especially in Halifax where 3 ships were in port)using their laptops. We found a nice little coffee shop in Saint John called "Java Moose" on a little side street a few blocks from the ship.

Go to the police museum in Saint John....it's pretty cute and they have an old VW Beetle parked in front that used to be a patrol car!

We encountered the side of Hurricane Katia on Thursday night/Friday morning. We had 30-40 foot seas. The captain kept us well informed of what was going on. There was a few big pitches of the ship that sent the classes in the casino bar flying and dishes in the dining room flying as well. If you like storms, it was a good one. Down side....no chamomile tea to be found on Thursday :( If you like that kind of tea you might want to bring your own. Oh, and on the whole tea thread....You will only see regular old Lipton tea out however if you see a wooden box near the tea and sugar...open it up because there will be flavored teas in it.

Overall....great cabin, great staff, ok food (except the pizza and wok), didn't see any shows or use the casino. We washed cloths part way through....$3 wash and $3 dry...one on each deck with cabins except 10 & 11. Make sure you catch the "Morning Show" with the cruise director (totally forgot his name...sorry man) and Misty his side kick....I mean assistant CD. It was funny. Misty has a Diet Coke addiction which I can totally relate to.

At 6:00AM we went past the Statute of Liberty. We could see her from our cabin (port side) and it was an amazing sight when it was still dark out and the crown and torch were lit. If you can make it up to see it when you come past it in the morning it is SO worth it. A sight you won't forget. We did the self disembarkment and we were through customs and hailing a cab before 8:00 AM.

If I can talk my husband into it.....I'll definitely go on another cruise. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Panorama 1042

1042 - great balcony, far enough away from the elevators that we didn't hear any of the noise associated with the elevators. Nice size bathroom, plenty of storage, comfy beds with nice comforters. Downfall....I felt the room was too warm (I like it cold at night) however I was told that that zone was in the comfort range.

Pretty nice port, easy to walk around although walking up to the Citadel will kill your legs...but then you can have some fresh fish and chips since you just had such a nice walk.

Read 347 Halifax Reviews

Great walk-able city. Check out the Police Museum just up the hill from the street. Get a coffee/tea/chai/hot chocolate at the Java Moose a little further up (they have free wi-fi and nice bathrooms!). You can walk from the library/mall/museum downtown to the market up the hill. You can get a great lunch at the little farmers market place up the hill, take it then walk across the street to the park and have a little picnic.