Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by sd_travel

Cabin Number: R28
Public Rooms Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Somewhat Disappointed
I have traveled on Carnival many times in the past and I would have to say this trip was somewhat of a disappointment.

1. The Sensation was actually the Fantasy, which I had traveled on 2 years ago, to the Western Caribbean; this cruise was to the Bahamas. What a coincidence, I guess......so the decor was nothing exciting for me this time. Same shops, disco, decor, food venues and some of the same staff. However......the dinner menu in the dining room was better. This time I was able to have escargot and lobster, which was a plus.

2. Rather than having breakfast every morning on the Lido deck, I opted to have breakfast in the dining room. The first a.m. visit to the dining room was great! The 2nd a.m. visit....not so nice. The servers seemed to have disappeared, leaving us to wait for a long period of time for our meal. Once the food was delivered to the table, the orders were wrong, i.e. fruit came on my plate along with my cereal, when in fact the person that actually ordered the fruit, received none. Hash browns were missing, no pastries offered, no juice offered, etc. Plates were not cleared from the table, before placing the next plate down and therefore plates were stacking up on the very small table for two. When an attempt was made to correct the matter with the server, it appeared that the waiter did not understand what I was saying and/or seemed to be confused about how the process worked.

3. Our server(s) at our normal table for dinner were good. One thing that I did not like, was being offered bottled water and/or Pellegrino and not being told upfront that there was going to be a charge for it. Guess I should have asked prior to the bottles being opened. I just kind of thought it was a new free dining option. If I would have known there were going to be a charge, I would have asked about the free water and/or tea or lemonade. Speaking of which......why is it never made an option to diners, that iced tea and lemonade are available to drink?

4. The last night of the dining room experience was a bit disappointing. It seemed like our main server got a little relaxed with the serving of the food. i.e. stopped placing the plate from the left side, but rather reaching across the person that was sitting next to me to pass me my plate. The baked Alaskan, came to me with ice cream melted, which doesn't make for a good mix with the sponge cake.

5. The cabin was cleaned excellent everyday. The only issue I had was the freshening of the cabin in the evenings. I would prefer that the turn down service be done while I am at dinner, rather than before. There's just some thing about coming back to a orderly cabin in the evening after being out all night. Instead, it was cleaned up before dinner and therefore I messed it up getting ready.

6. The mints placed on the bed each night, is always a wonderful touch. This time I refrained from eating them, so that I could make them a part of a gift basket for my daughter. On the last day/night, the Stewart had collected the mints from the vanity. I would have had 10! Can you spare some squares????? LOL!

For the most part, the trip was good, however after this cruise, I am going to start looking at options on NCL and perhaps RCCL, both lines I have traveled on previously.

Publication Date: 09/12/11
Read the Bahamas ports review by sd_travel
More Carnival Sensation Cruise Reviews