Arcadia Cruise Review by Wolstencroft: Arcadia

Arcadia

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

This was our first trip on Arcadia although we have travelled on several other P&O ships.

We didn't get the 'wow' factor when boarding Arcadia and initially the ship felt a bit 'bland'.

CABIN - Our cabin was a good size. We had an excellent cabin steward who kept the cabin spotlessly clean. Everything worked and we didn't suffer any cabin noise. My husband and I do take ear plugs just to be on the safe side.

I had breakfast in my cabin on sea days. The breakfast steward asked if I wanted breakfast in my cabin each day. I said no - just on sea days. My breakfast arrived on time every sea day with a cheerful smile and good morning from the steward.

DINING - we had lunch in the buffet restaurant. Plenty of choice but a bit hectic at times.

EVENING MEAL - we dined in the main restaurant in the evening - club dining - on a table for 8 people. Our waiters were efficient and chatty - nothing was too much trouble. One couple on our table were More celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary. P&O made it a special day for them from breakfast time and then in the evening with a cake and champagne. Well done P & O and also the waiters.

We did not use the 'specialist' restaurants.

Our previous trip on the Oriana left us with the impression that standards in the restaurant had 'slipped'. The quality and quantity of food had, in our opinion, deteriorated. However, I am pleased to say that the food on board Arcadia was far superior and our faith has been restored!!!

I am vetarian. P&O have a separate veggi menu if there is nothinn on the main menu that you fancy. I have found the choice and quality of veggie food to be excellent. My husband enjoys a steak and this is always available as an option.

The theatre usually very crowded with standing room only sometimes.

The entertainment was not very inspiring and we did not go in to the theatre every night.

I did use the gym - the facilities were excellent and I was always able to get on a treadmill.

The ship did grow on us. There was plenty to space and it didn't seem overcrowded. We will certainly sail on the Arcadia again. Less

Read more Arcadia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Arcadia Review >>

Cabin review: Arcadia Deluxe Stateroom with Balcony and Bath/Shower C Deck C57

Our cabin was in a quiet location and a good size. We did not suffer from any rattles etc. The bathroom was adequate and everything worked. However, we had one period when most of the toilets on the ship stopped working. Our balcony was large but the doors on the balcony were not sliding doors and they were very hard to open. One lady on our table had a fall on her balcony and couldn't get back into her cabin for a couple of hours until she summoned help from next door when they returned to their cabin and heard her cries for help. My husband found the wardrobes a bit too narrow for his clothes but apart from that we had no problems with our cabin. On our cruise, the ship in general suffer from 'rust' showing through the white paintwork.

Plenty to see in Barcelona. We used a guide book and did a walk which took us off the 'beaten track'.

(5.5)
A very pretty little island. Well worth a visit. Drinks were expensive because of the strong Euro i.e. it cost 20+ Euro's for three large beers and one small beer.

Read 4 Elba Reviews

We have been to Gibraltar several times and done the sights so it was a walk to Morrison's for a few bottles and then coffee, meeting up with other passengers from the ship.

It doesn't take long to walk into the centre of Gibraltar from the ship.

If it is your first time to Gibraltar then do the sights.

If you are travelling to Rome from Civitavecchia on the train then buy your tickets from the station and not from the ticket agents adjacent to the dock as they charge double for a single ticket. Give yourself plenty of time because it is really busy at the station.

There is a ticket machine at the entrance to the station on your return. The machine takes notes and will give change.

The trains are very crowded and we had to stand all the way to Rome. There is a toilet on the train.