Disney Dream Cruise Review by akaCruiser

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
Disney's Dream Vacation - A Three Night Tour
Disney Dream - September 1 to 4

Day 1 - Port Canaveral

Arrived at the Port Canaveral Terminal A at around 11:20 AM, dropped off the DW and DD's with the luggage at the terminal entrance and parked the rental at the terminal parking for $15 per day on deck 3. Went back and to meet up with the family and lined up to be prescreened before entering the terminal. After the prescreening, we entered into the terminal and when through the security check after which we then went to the second floor to begin the check in. As we are Canadians, we went through a separate line and were quickly processed with a quick web cam photo and the issuing of the ship cards. We then waited for our number 11 to be called. It was a fairly quick time as it was already number 7. While we waited, we lined up for a photo with Mickey and a model of the Dream as the backdrop. At the same time, I when to the kids registration line to get the DD's their club bracelets, as I already completed the registration online. After another 10 minutes we got our photos with Mickey and proceeded to board the ship at around 12:00 noon time. Overall, it was not too bad check-in experience as compared to other lines that we had sailed on previously.

As soon as we boarded the Dream (on deck 3), we were asked for the family name and a welcome broadcast was made immediately. We were then directed to head towards the back of the ship and go up to deck 11 for lunch at the buffet area. The selection was not extensive, but there was enough for everyone to get something to eat. We then had our meal and waited until 1:30 PM and then went to the cabin 5046 (mid port side). Our balcony was twice the size as the other cabins above us. It comfortably allows two adult and two children chairs with a small table within the area. We got our luggage at around 2:30 PM and then walked around deck 5 to check out the children's club areas (Ocean Club and Lab). We then returned back to the cabin at around 3:30 PM and waited for the boat drill to begin at 4 PM down at deck 3 in the WD Theater. Prior to the drill, Cabin Steward Yani from Indonesia introduced herself.

After the drill, we then returned to the cabin and then went up to deck 11 to check out the going away party which started at 4:45 PM. As it seemed to be a little too noisy for our taste, we returned back to the cabin to rest up a bit and change for dinner at 5:45 PM.

At Royal Court MDR Waiters Deniz from Turkey (Food) and Clayton from Jamaica (Drink) introduce themselves. The food was good and very similar with what you would get with other cruise lines. The portion sizes are on the petit size which allows for double orders. We finished dinner at around 7:15 PM and returned to the cabin in order to give the kids a bath before going to watch the show "Golden Mickey's" at 8:30 PM. We go to the Theater at around 8:10 PM and got good seats in the upper row (deck 4) almost in the middle of the Theater.

After the show we returned to the cabin and spotted the first of three towel animals appeared on the bed along with some chocolates. We then got the kids when to bed. At around 10:45 PM, I went up to deck 11 to try out the Aquaduck ride. As it was windy, in order to go on the Aquaduck you need two people go at the same time. There was very little wait time and the ride is very short (around a minute and a half). In order to go on the ride you need to be at least 42" tall or 54" if you want to travel solo. After finding another person to go with me, I then grabbed a pizza slice before heading back to the cabin and calling it a day.

Day 2 - Nassau

Woke up at around 8:20 AM and waited for the rest of the family to awake. By the time we changed and got out of the cabin it was already 9:05 AM and according to the daily program, there was a Princess Review on deck 3 in the lobby. The line up to meet and greet the Princesses stretched past the hallway and far down. Instead we just took photos of them when they were waiting for people to meet them. We then went back to deck 11 for a quick breakfast.

After breakfast, we then took the kids to the Ocean Club and Lab and DW and I then tried out the Aquaduck, as we decided to skip going to port (having been there already a couple of times on other cruises). After a 20 minute wait we got onto the ride and once finished returned to the cabin. I filled out a request to quotation for a future Disney Cruise, as the benefits of 10% off along with OBC was very appealing.

At around 12:35 AM, a text message on the ship cabin portable phones asked that I pick up the kids. We then returned to the cabin to get DW and we headed to the Royal Court for lunch at around 1:05 PM. After lunch we then went to watch "Winnie the Poo" movie at the Movie Theater. Once over, we then returned back to the cabin to change into our swim suits in order for DD to ride the Aquaduck, while the younger DD play on the splash pad. After another 20 minute or so wait we rode the Aquaduck. The kids then went to the water slide and then the kiddies' pool. At around 5:25 PM we then returned back to the cabin and dressed for dinner.

We rotated to the next dining location which was the Animator's Palette. The menu choices were not very enjoyable in my opinion, but as it was our Anniversary and we ended it with a nice chocolate mousse cake. We then returned to the cabin to give my DD a quick bath before going to the Theater to watch the next major production - Villains Live. We were unable to watch it completely as the kids didn't like the theme and asked to leave early.

We then went shopping at the ships stores and got a few items before returning back to the cabin and getting the kids to sleep. I filled out the tips form and was issued tickets that we could distribute to the Cabin Steward and Wait staff. At around 10:20 PM, I went up to the deck 12 to wait for the fireworks display. If you had an outside cabin on the Starboard side of the ship you would be able to see the fireworks without going to the top deck. Once completed, I then check out the late buffet and got a couple of items and returned to the cabin to share a Turkey drumstick and a Taco with the DW. I then returned to plates and call it a night, as tomorrow we were going to Castaway Cay - Disney's private island.

Day 3 - Castaway Cay

I woke up early at around 7:20 AM, as I wanted to get a jump and get to the island as soon as possible, but the rest of the family had a different plan. I went to deck 11 for a quick breakfast I then got a few breakfast items and brought it back to the cabin to the DW and DD's. People were able to disembark off the ship at around 7:45 AM, but by the time the family ate, changed to our bathing suits and covered ourselves with sunscreen (SPF 60) we exited the ship at around 10:30 AM. When passed security, Goofy was coming back onboard the ship and on the dock we passed by Stich. We then boarded the Tram and to the beach.

At the first Tram stop, we got off and when to the store to purchase a pair of sun glasses for older DD. After finding a couple of chairs we dropped off our towels and beach stuff before DW and DD's proceed to play in the water, while I picked up a float. We then stayed in the water until 1:15 PM for lunch. The BBQ lunch at Castaway was the standard fare, but was very tasty. As with the ship, the island setup had drink, soft ice cream, and fruit stations. When we finished lunch (before 2 PM) we then returned back to the water and played in the sand until 3:10 PM and then called it a day. At the pier, we saw Lilo near midship entrance.

Once we returned back to the cabin at around 3:40, everyone took a bath, as tonight it was going to be dress up (formal) night at dinner at the Enchanted Garden. As tonight's show was going to be shown three times, we watched the 4:00 PM showing. While DW and older DD went to the show, younger DD and I went to the Future Cruise Consultant to look into booking a Disney cruise at a discount, OBC, and a small deposit. At the dinner hour we then went to deck 2 midships for dinner at the Enchanted Garden. The dinner selection was the best of the three restaurants with the focus of the entrees was seafood.

Following dinner, we then decided to take some formal pictures and had them taken at the lobby main staircase. At around 8:10 PM, we then went to the Theater to watch the show again. After the show, we returned back to the cabin to prepare to pack up as the luggage need to be put outside the cabin by 10:30 PM latest. After repacking out three luggage pieces we put it out by 10:25 PM. DW then went out to look at the pictures. As the breakfast next day was starting at 6:30 AM, I went to bed earlier.

Day 4 - Port Canaveral

I woke up at 5:50 AM and got myself ready to go to breakfast. With the rest of the family still sleeping and being we that to return back to Toronto would take more than seven hours I left them at the cabin and I went to the Enchanted Garden for breakfast. After finishing my breakfast, I returned back to the cabin at around 7:15 AM to see if the rest of the family would ready to get up.

After getting the general announcement that the ship has cleared customs at 7:45 AM and we finally exited the Dream at around 8:20 AM from the lobby on deck 3. We then went to the terminal and collected our luggage and were in and out of customs and to the rental car within 10 minutes. By 9:00 AM we were on the road to the airport.

After a quick stop for gas we arrived at the car rental return at around 10:20 AM and proceed to the terminal to check in and drop off the luggage. We then cleared security and had lunch before boarding a flight to Chicago O'Hare before landing in Toronto. We finally landed at Pearson International Airport at 9:20 PM and finally returned home at 10:30 PM.

Publication Date: 09/12/11