Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Toothfairy80: Alaska cruise on the Norwegian Star

Toothfairy80

Alaska cruise on the Norwegian Star

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

So my party consisted of 3 friends in our early 30's who get together annually. I was a little worried after reading the reviews on here about the Star, but I must say I had a great time. A lot of it had to do with the fact that three days before the cruise we got a call to upgrade from a mid-ship mini suite to a penthouse and VIP status. It was more money, but 100% worth it. Awesome balcony, which was a plus on an Alaska cruise. We had priority boarding and embarkation, butler and concierge service and access to Cagneys steakhouse for breakfast and lunch. Cagneys was a huge plus. I've been on 7 cruises on other cruise lines and this was my first on NCL. The buffet area was not the greatest on the Star. The food did not look fresh and was nothing special. Needless to say, we took advantage of Cagneys. We did try Versailles the first night, and it wasn't bad. But we decided to try a specialty restaurant every night for the rest of the cruise. We loved La Cucina and Endless Summer ( Tex More Mex), but all the others were great. We thought it was fun to try a different restaurant every night and didn't mind the service charge. I read a lot about the staff pressuring guests to book reservations and so on. While we did have people approach us, we just kindly declined when we wanted and it was fine.

Being in Alaska, the age group was definitely higher, however we enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. They had awesome martini tastings and a very cool pub crawl.

Vacation is what you make of it. I went in with a positive attitude and chose to ignore the little things and enjoyed my time on the Star. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star 10500

Awesome cabin at front of the ship below the captains bridge. Huge balcony which was great when getting into ports and seeing the glaciers. Large room with a full tub. Great lavazzo coffee machine that was used daily.

We decided to not due an excursion in Juneau. The port was cute and had a lot of places to shop. I did most of my shopping here. Had breakfast at a cute place called the Silver Bow that someone in Ketchikan told us about. Good bagels and cream cheese. We took a local bus to the Mendenhall glacier for $16 round trip. We were only from 7-1 so we felt a little rushed, but overall a good time.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

We did a zip line and challenge excursion, which we loved! We did rock climbing, zip lining and made our way through an obstacle course. I gave a 3 because I wasn't impressed with the area where the boat docked. I would definitely recommend some kind of excursion and save your shopping for the other ports.

Not much to see at the port. We did a nature walk at the Butze Rainforest that was nice. But overall, not to exciting.

(5.5)
My absolute favorite port! Felt like I was on a movie set for a western. A lot of stores so a good place for souvenirs and shopping. We ate at the Red Onion Saloon which use to be a brothel back in the day. Very cute place and $5 for a 15 min tour. Check it out. We also did a train ride through the White Pass Railway. Was the highlight of my trip! 40 mile round trip train ride up the mountains with awesome scenery. Highly recommend this!

Read 645 Skagway Reviews