Carnival Glory Cruise Review by IrishRoots

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Glory Cruise Review by IrishRoots
Member Name: IrishRoots
Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: OS

Great trip and value
We live on LI so were kindly driven to the ship by a neighbor. We dropped our 2 pieces of luggage off at the door and proceeded to a very orderly checkin at about 11:15 AM, then found seats, enjoyed complimentary lemonade, and waitedd until 12 when we were told boarding would be permitted. We were onboard by 12:20 and enjoying a buffet lunch and began exploring the ship. We easily got to our cabin, which was originally on the first level (I will explain room change later!). I booked only 3 weeks prior to sailing and wanted an inexpensive room with a window on a low level as that is the room that has the least amount of movement in a bad sea. I have been in a hurricane at sea before and know top, front, and back rock and roll the most!

Our room was nice-usual cabin size, and very clean. Since we were assigned anytime dining and could not change it we resorted to anytime dining, which turned out to be teriffic for us. We never had any trouble getting a table for 2 which I enjoyed because I like dinner time to be couple time. (We are married 42 years!). We liked our table so much we requested it the rest of the trip and had no problem getting it. Food was good to excellent. Veal parm was tough but our waiter wanted to replace it with something else so I have no complaints. At times my husband had a starter and soup and he had no problem getting them with the main course. Around 10PM a banging noise started followed periodically with a whishing of water sound. We hoped it would stop but after an hour we called customer service. They sent an engineer up who told us it was something with the hydraulics and she kindly offered us another room one level up. Our stewards were attentive and cabin spotless. Shows were OK. We saw The show on the second night and the magician. Music was WAY TOO LOUD however. Glad our cabin was not near that area. We skipped the other shows because of the deafining music. Louder does not make it better. I was glad there were few children on the ship because the magician, though good, was rather R rated and costumes were a bit bondage inspired.

Debarkation was well done. We did self assist. Saw the freedom tower in the sunrise, had buffet breakfast, then left the room at 8:10am. Customs was well done and we were in Penn Station waiting for the 9:40 train, home by 10:20 am. I can't wait for another cruise. Our last was MSC and this if FAR better than MSC! Ship was clean and when rough seas causes problems they were cleaned up quickly by the attentive crew. The line for Mongolian Wok was always long so I never did get a chance to try it. The breakfast buffet was plentiful but food was never hot so I preferred the dining room option. As we did anytime dining I thought the cruiseline had done away with the waiter shows/dancing during mealtime. I found out they still went on in the assigned seating areas. It was not something I missed and in fact, the meal was always 50 to 60 min. in length so we were able to go out and walk off our meals easily. If you like the show the waiters put on stick to assigned seating.

We enjoyed the ship so much we put a down payment on another cruise!

Biggest Complaint: rude people who laugh, talk, and slam doors after 12AM and before 6AM...guests NOT crew AND the lady with the walker who felt she had a right to sit on aisle seats AND block the aisle. Perhaps a large section for those with walkers and wheelchairs would help...especially if common courtesy is lacking.

Publication Date: 09/12/11