Carnival Glory Cruise Review by IrishRoots: Great trip and value

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Great trip and value

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We live on LI so were kindly driven to the ship by a neighbor. We dropped our 2 pieces of luggage off at the door and proceeded to a very orderly checkin at about 11:15 AM, then found seats, enjoyed complimentary lemonade, and waitedd until 12 when we were told boarding would be permitted. We were onboard by 12:20 and enjoying a buffet lunch and began exploring the ship. We easily got to our cabin, which was originally on the first level (I will explain room change later!). I booked only 3 weeks prior to sailing and wanted an inexpensive room with a window on a low level as that is the room that has the least amount of movement in a bad sea. I have been in a hurricane at sea before and know top, front, and back rock and roll the most!

Our room was nice-usual cabin size, and very clean. Since we were assigned anytime dining and could not change it we resorted to anytime dining, which turned out to be teriffic for us. We never had any trouble getting a table for 2 which I More enjoyed because I like dinner time to be couple time. (We are married 42 years!). We liked our table so much we requested it the rest of the trip and had no problem getting it. Food was good to excellent. Veal parm was tough but our waiter wanted to replace it with something else so I have no complaints. At times my husband had a starter and soup and he had no problem getting them with the main course. Around 10PM a banging noise started followed periodically with a whishing of water sound. We hoped it would stop but after an hour we called customer service. They sent an engineer up who told us it was something with the hydraulics and she kindly offered us another room one level up. Our stewards were attentive and cabin spotless. Shows were OK. We saw The show on the second night and the magician. Music was WAY TOO LOUD however. Glad our cabin was not near that area. We skipped the other shows because of the deafining music. Louder does not make it better. I was glad there were few children on the ship because the magician, though good, was rather R rated and costumes were a bit bondage inspired.

Debarkation was well done. We did self assist. Saw the freedom tower in the sunrise, had buffet breakfast, then left the room at 8:10am. Customs was well done and we were in Penn Station waiting for the 9:40 train, home by 10:20 am. I can't wait for another cruise. Our last was MSC and this if FAR better than MSC! Ship was clean and when rough seas causes problems they were cleaned up quickly by the attentive crew. The line for Mongolian Wok was always long so I never did get a chance to try it. The breakfast buffet was plentiful but food was never hot so I preferred the dining room option. As we did anytime dining I thought the cruiseline had done away with the waiter shows/dancing during mealtime. I found out they still went on in the assigned seating areas. It was not something I missed and in fact, the meal was always 50 to 60 min. in length so we were able to go out and walk off our meals easily. If you like the show the waiters put on stick to assigned seating.

We enjoyed the ship so much we put a down payment on another cruise!

Biggest Complaint: rude people who laugh, talk, and slam doors after 12AM and before 6AM...guests NOT crew AND the lady with the walker who felt she had a right to sit on aisle seats AND block the aisle. Perhaps a large section for those with walkers and wheelchairs would help...especially if common courtesy is lacking. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Oceanview Main 2339

our first cabin was noisy due to a "hydraulics problem" that started at around 10PM (Level 1 room 393). There was no way I could have slept. We called after 1hour hoping to hear from customer service that it would cease, however an engineer was sent up and offered to move our room. She had a steward come and we were in our new room settled by 12AM. New room was clean and spotless. I was so happy it was available.

As this was our 4th Canadian cruise we decided to take the Lunenburg tour. It was lovely, and our guide extremely informative. We were put into a small airport transport bus that was rather uncomfortable. It was small, had no storage area, and when several people said air was needed we were told it was at the max. We only had one hour in the town so I would NOT recommend the tour because of that. We spent way too much time on the bus.

Read 356 Halifax Reviews

Best 10 was good with a little bit of everything. It did not leave much time to shop so if you want to do that pick a shorter trip. We got some great pictures. Tour guide did a nice job. Getting off the ship could be done a bit better as it is one mass exodus. Other cruise lines have you meet in certain areas and the tours that leave earliest are exited first. Our tour got a late start due to this factor.