Veendam Cruise Review by graybear41: HAL to Bermuda - Missing Tropical Storm Katia

graybear41
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Veendam Bermuda Cruises

HAL to Bermuda - Missing Tropical Storm Katia

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

My wife and I and another couple that we cruise with frequently went on the Veendam from New York City to Bermuda. We left New York on September 4, 2011 and returned September 11, 2011.

From beginning to end, everything went smoothly and efficiently. We took a cab from LGA to the Manhatten Cruise Terminal and arrived in a timely and cost reducing fashion. The cost for the four of us and four bags plus two carry on bags was about $33.00 minus the tip. The return from the cruise terminal to LGA was just as trouble free and economical. I feel that using a taxi is the best way to reach the ship, as the vans and limo services are much higher in cost.

Check in was trouble free and quickly accomplished and we went immediately to our cabins. This was before noon.

Of course we went immediately to the Lido for lunch. The selections were very good and the preparation was excellent. Note: For the first two days the food is placed on the plates by the serving staff, More after that you serve yourself. I like the idea of that as it helps to prevent passengers from handling food in an impersonal manner.

The cabins are first rate, even including a tub as well as a couch which converts into a bed. We had an outside view cabin and were well pleased.

The restaurant is very well appointed and the staff is as good as any I have had on the 28 cruises I have taken. The food preparation is first class all the way. The serving time is efficient and faster than I have encountered on other cruise ships.

The entertainment is different from most ships in that it is less of a Las Vegas style production and more like a cabaret. The performers were all good although the song selections were not all my favorites. The final show was very good.

We left Hamilton, Bermuda several hours early due to the expectation of high seas due to tropical storm Katia which had passed and was now north of Bermuda and New York. The storm went between Bermuda and New York and did not affect our weather at all. Every day (four) in port was sunny. After leaving Hamilton, we did encounter some swells, but not bad enough to be a problem as this ship is very stable and rides much better than I expected for a vessel of this size.

I do recommend the Veendum for someone who wants a very comfortable and adult oriented cruise instead of the party themed lines. Plenty of activities and a nice casino.

Graybear41 Less

Read more Veendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Veendam Review >>

Cabin review: Veendam Large Fully Obstructed Oceanview Lower Promenade 731

Large cabin with ample closet space. Larger bathroom with shower/tub combination. Sofa included.

Hamilton is a more normal city which is not as tourist orientated as most cruise ports. Front street has several shops that are tourist based, but most of the stores are more upscale or normal commercial establishments. There are no flea markets or tent setups. You can purchase anything you want as far as souvenirs or t-shirts, but the shops are not as garish as most ports. There is a regular grocery store a couple of blocks from the ship which is a good place to shop. The bus system is excellent and well take you all over Bermuda for one price if you get an all day pass. Scooters are everywhere and are available for rental if you are adventure oriented. The roads are narrow and curves are many. St. George is the other city on Bermuda and is about a 40 minute ride on the bus. If you are there at noon, you can see an enactment of a dunking of a lady who is guilty of nagging. Worth the trip to St. George to see that and the replica of the ship that the first English built to journey to Jamestown after their ship was wrecked on the reef after their trip from England. Very nice area.

Read 125 Hamilton Reviews