Veendam Cruise Review by graybear41

Veendam
Veendam
Member Name: graybear41
Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: HH
See More About: Veendam Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Veendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Veendam Deck Plans
HAL to Bermuda - Missing Tropical Storm Katia
My wife and I and another couple that we cruise with frequently went on the Veendam from New York City to Bermuda. We left New York on September 4, 2011 and returned September 11, 2011.

From beginning to end, everything went smoothly and efficiently. We took a cab from LGA to the Manhatten Cruise Terminal and arrived in a timely and cost reducing fashion. The cost for the four of us and four bags plus two carry on bags was about $33.00 minus the tip. The return from the cruise terminal to LGA was just as trouble free and economical. I feel that using a taxi is the best way to reach the ship, as the vans and limo services are much higher in cost.

Check in was trouble free and quickly accomplished and we went immediately to our cabins. This was before noon.

Of course we went immediately to the Lido for lunch. The selections were very good and the preparation was excellent. Note: For the first two days the food is placed on the plates by the serving staff, after that you serve yourself. I like the idea of that as it helps to prevent passengers from handling food in an impersonal manner.

The cabins are first rate, even including a tub as well as a couch which converts into a bed. We had an outside view cabin and were well pleased.

The restaurant is very well appointed and the staff is as good as any I have had on the 28 cruises I have taken. The food preparation is first class all the way. The serving time is efficient and faster than I have encountered on other cruise ships.

The entertainment is different from most ships in that it is less of a Las Vegas style production and more like a cabaret. The performers were all good although the song selections were not all my favorites. The final show was very good.

We left Hamilton, Bermuda several hours early due to the expectation of high seas due to tropical storm Katia which had passed and was now north of Bermuda and New York. The storm went between Bermuda and New York and did not affect our weather at all. Every day (four) in port was sunny. After leaving Hamilton, we did encounter some swells, but not bad enough to be a problem as this ship is very stable and rides much better than I expected for a vessel of this size.

I do recommend the Veendum for someone who wants a very comfortable and adult oriented cruise instead of the party themed lines. Plenty of activities and a nice casino.

Graybear41