Westerdam Cruise Review by lifeizgr8

Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: SA
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
The WESTERDAM was WONDERFUL but....
We just got home from a 7 day cruise to Alaska aboard the Westerdam. We had a great time! We had a few problems, that really need to be addressed by Holland, but all in all we were happy with this cruise.

EMBARKATION AND DEBARKATION: Embarkation was a little slow, but we had a Suite so our line went very quickly. The only problem is there is no signage to let you know you don't have to wait in the long lines if you are a Suite Passenger! Debarkation was not even 5 minutes!! We were to our car from the ship in 12 minutes total!!

CABIN: Our cabin, SA7077, was my favorite cabin to date, for all 18 cruises I have been on! The room had plenty of space and a jacuzzi tub, 2 sinks and 2 showers. Our king bed was very comfortable and the deck had 2 loungers and a table with 4 chairs! Our room was kept very clean and organized the entire cruise and the cabin stewards, ANDRI and MADE went well above the normal to see we had everything we needed! We even had towel animals every night which I just love, and we had not seen in the last 3 or 4 cruises!!!

NEPTUNE LOUNGE: Because we had a suite, we were given a concierge room and boy was that a great addition!! When we needed anything, and I mean anything, we would just visit the gals in Neptune, Cara and Faye, and within minutes we had it! They tried to make our cruise the best it could be. It was really nice to have coffee, tea and juices all the time just down the hall, and there were snacks at all times from 8 in the morning to 10 at night!!

FOOD: This is where the Westerdam took a nose dive!!!!!! I have Celiac Disease, so I know, it can be a little difficult because I cannot eat anything with gluten (wheat, soy etc) and that does create a bit of a problem. But, on my last 5 cruises (Princess and Celebrity) it was NEVER a problem except a few times in BLU on its maiden voyage, but after I explained this to them, it did get better. On this ship NO ONE except for the Chef knew what gluten free meant!! I had a terrible experience with this. I was sick for the first 2 days, because I was told my food was prepared correctly, to find out pretty quickly it was NOT! When I tried everything I knew to rectify this problem, I just got frustrated!! I tried the concierge, the Maitre D, the Housekeeping manager, the front desk, every Chef I could find, only to be disappointed at every turn!!!! Not until we began paying $50 for our dinner's and $10 for our lunches at the Pinnacle Grill could we get real gluten free foods!! When I had made such a fuss in the MDR, the head Chef came to our table and just thru everyone else under the bus, and blaming everyone but himself for the major problem! I even met a gal in the pool who was sick for 4 days, so much so, she had to go to urgent care in AK!!! NO ONE and I mean NO ONE in the MDR or LIDO)buffet) have a clue about contamination!! My gluten free Pizza was cut with a pizza cutter that was just used on a regular pizza one second before mine! I watched in horror and told him I could not eat that pizza now! The server said this is gluten free pizza, and I told him it was NO LONGER gluten free because of the pizza cutter. He just rolled his eyes and put the pizza in the trash can behind him!! The only person who understood my problem was ANDREW, the chef in the Pinnacle. I told him my problem and he fixed it for me in the Pinnacle, but his help did not reach anywhere else!! If you are gluten free BRING YOUR OWN FOOD, OR EAT IN PINNACLE OR YOU WILL BE VERY SICK THE ENTIRE TIME!!!!!!!!!!

ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment was marvelous!! We loved everything except the Piano Bar singer!! We all decided we should all through in $50 each and give it to him just to stop playing!! It didn't work, but we thought that was a good idea!! All the other shows were great, and I would say, they were the best shows on any ship I have seen in 10 years!!! We were very happy with all the entertainment besides the Piano Man.

PINNACLE GRILL: WORTH EVERY PENNY WE SPENT THERE!!!!!! This food was beyond great, and reminded us of the food of long ago on cruises!! The Pinnacle Grill not only saved me, but my husband said their steaks were the best he had on any cruise ship in 20 years!!! DO NOT LOOK AT THE PRICE, JUST LOOK AT IT AS MAKING YOUR CRUISE THAT MUCH BETTER BY EATING THERE!!!!

CASINO: This casino was terrible!! They need more penny machines, and they need to turn them up a bit! I did not see anyone win anything!! Usually on a cruise you don't win too much, but you are at least able to win a little and lose a little. NOT HERE!! I was playing most nights along one wall of 10 machines! In 5 hours I did not see anyone win anything!! Now that is bad!! Don't go!!! Go spend the $$$ in Pinnacle Grill for a better cruise!! You will be happier and so will your wallet!!!

I hope I have given you a good feel for this cruise! The ship was beautiful, the food was just so-so to terrible, the service was good, the cabin stewards were all great that I could see, the entertainment wonderful, BUT if you or any family member is gluten free....BEWARE!!!!! Be very careful! I learned to ask them for the recipe for every sauce I ate, and to ask where it was cooked! That is the only way you can be safe! I give this cruise an 8, but if you take away the gluten free problem and only eat in Pinnacle I would give it a 9 1/2!! That is how much we loved Pinnacle!!

Mardi

from West Linn, Oregon

I would like to recommend the Spa too! It was wonderful and they all did a good job! But, stop pushing the products! If I want to buy something I will ask!!

The Hydrotherapy Pool and Heated Lounges get a 11 on a scale of 1 to 10!! Totally worth the money!!!!

Publication Date: 09/11/11