Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by imthefishtoe: Never Again

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

Never Again

Sail Date: September 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans

My husband booked the Triumph cruise to Progreso and Cozumel for our anniversary. We have never been on a cruise before so we were both really excited. We kept getting text messages that the cruise was delayed because of TS Lee. We were OK with this because we live in NOLA and just hung out at home until the time we were told to be at the port. First mistake.

People disregarded this notice and when we arrived the post was a zoo to say the least. Carnival shuttled everyone showing up to the Sheraton on Canal Street to line up for "check-in". This process of standing in lines lasted 4 hours. Several children were crying, old folks pulled up chairs to scoot them along in the line so they could rest a bit. A diabetic man in front of us beat feet to Popeye's to get something to eat because his sugars were low. People cutting in line and no compassion from the Carnival staff. Indeed, most were downright rude to us. We made the best of it by chatting with the folks behind us and More making fun of the whole situation. We finally "checked in" then waited until a Zone boarding was called and we got back on buses to the port. We were the lucky ones because several people waited for buses that never showed and walked back to the port. We then stood in another line only to check in again. At this point, we realized we were given a runaround so people could debark. We got to the port at 7:30 and didn't board until 12:30. There was nothing to eat except some burgers and a crappy buffet. I just wanted to go to sleep.

Well, without knowing, we paid top dollar for the room above the propellers (2462 - never book this room!) Once the engines started, our entire room shook. I cried most of the night because I couldn't sleep. The next morning, we went to guest services to ask to be changed to another room, which we were happy to pay for. No way was the response. Would we be refunded for waiting in lines and leaving 12 hours late? No. Would we be refunded any of our service charges since we received no service, as we were at the Sheraton? No. Would we be getting anything but rude service and sub-par food? Not even.

It went downhill when we realized this ship was just one big infomercial for Carnival cruise line. We were harassed by photographers that wanted to take our picture. We got scammed by the businesses that cooperate with Carnival at ports of call. We were told this cruise was a great deal for the price paid, but I found out it was so cheap so that everyone could great stone faced drunk and not care about food that most of our friends, my husband, and myself sick.

I am traumatized by this entire experience. I waited on SEPTEMBER 5TH for 5 HOURS in lines LESS THAN A MILE FROM THE SUPERDOME IN NEW ORLEANS. Katrina was recreated to me in some eery ways that night. I haven't slept for 5 nights because of the shaking in our room. I cried for two days. Everyone I spoke with had a similar experience.

The only thing great to come this trip was the trip to Progreso and the great people/fellow sufferers we met.

This cruise line will be getting a certified letter from me about this experience and I will make it my part time job to tell everyone about this horrible experience. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Interior Riviera

Never choose anything in the aft section, no matter the floor. I spoke with a girl on the upper floor that mentioned the vibrating and she shut up when I told her how bad ours was. The ship is dated and showing terrible wear.

I wish I could give this island a zero. Everything is commercial and very expensive. People bombard you for your business. It was borderline scary. We rented a car to get out to the less populated areas. The food was just OK at Coconuts and really expensive, but the view was to die for. We returned the rental and got scammed into paying an extra $50 for something we didn't do, even after paying for the insurance My husband was afraid we would end up in prison so we paid it. We should have just stayed on the boat. everything is centered around booze. Is this really the image the Mexican people want to project. My husband's family is from Mexico. They are a hard working and proud family and I was ashamed at the level they stoop to for a buck.

Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

Book your excursions directly through Total Gusto. Cesar was nice, knowledgeable and made the trip safe. He told us Carnival takes 80% of the excursion fee for themselves and they get barely anything. We felt bad because it was really nice.

The town was so quaint and totally the Mexican experience we were looking for. We avoided tourist trap recommendations for food and found local fare about a mile inland being prepared on a charcoal grill with homemade corn tortillas. We bought bottle sodas and avoided water. We walked all around and felt safe. Avoid the "flea market" Total Gusto takes you to for everything except the free shuttle back to the ship. The folks hawking their wares harass you incessantly. I would take pictures and frame them for friends as gifts. We took about 200 pictures the short time we were there.

Read 284 Progreso Reviews