Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by imthefishtoe

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by imthefishtoe
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Triumph
Member Name: imthefishtoe
Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Category: PT

Never Again
My husband booked the Triumph cruise to Progreso and Cozumel for our anniversary. We have never been on a cruise before so we were both really excited. We kept getting text messages that the cruise was delayed because of TS Lee. We were OK with this because we live in NOLA and just hung out at home until the time we were told to be at the port. First mistake.

People disregarded this notice and when we arrived the post was a zoo to say the least. Carnival shuttled everyone showing up to the Sheraton on Canal Street to line up for "check-in". This process of standing in lines lasted 4 hours. Several children were crying, old folks pulled up chairs to scoot them along in the line so they could rest a bit. A diabetic man in front of us beat feet to Popeye's to get something to eat because his sugars were low. People cutting in line and no compassion from the Carnival staff. Indeed, most were downright rude to us. We made the best of it by chatting with the folks behind us and making fun of the whole situation. We finally "checked in" then waited until a Zone boarding was called and we got back on buses to the port. We were the lucky ones because several people waited for buses that never showed and walked back to the port. We then stood in another line only to check in again. At this point, we realized we were given a runaround so people could debark. We got to the port at 7:30 and didn't board until 12:30. There was nothing to eat except some burgers and a crappy buffet. I just wanted to go to sleep.

Well, without knowing, we paid top dollar for the room above the propellers (2462 - never book this room!) Once the engines started, our entire room shook. I cried most of the night because I couldn't sleep. The next morning, we went to guest services to ask to be changed to another room, which we were happy to pay for. No way was the response. Would we be refunded for waiting in lines and leaving 12 hours late? No. Would we be refunded any of our service charges since we received no service, as we were at the Sheraton? No. Would we be getting anything but rude service and sub-par food? Not even.

It went downhill when we realized this ship was just one big infomercial for Carnival cruise line. We were harassed by photographers that wanted to take our picture. We got scammed by the businesses that cooperate with Carnival at ports of call. We were told this cruise was a great deal for the price paid, but I found out it was so cheap so that everyone could great stone faced drunk and not care about food that most of our friends, my husband, and myself sick.

I am traumatized by this entire experience. I waited on SEPTEMBER 5TH for 5 HOURS in lines LESS THAN A MILE FROM THE SUPERDOME IN NEW ORLEANS. Katrina was recreated to me in some eery ways that night. I haven't slept for 5 nights because of the shaking in our room. I cried for two days. Everyone I spoke with had a similar experience.

The only thing great to come this trip was the trip to Progreso and the great people/fellow sufferers we met.

This cruise line will be getting a certified letter from me about this experience and I will make it my part time job to tell everyone about this horrible experience.

Publication Date: 09/11/11