MSC Magnifica Cruise Review by carole tyrrell

Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 6
See More About: MSC Magnifica Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: MSC Magnifica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Magnifica Deck Plans
FIRST CRUISE EVER
Having read bad reviews about the food on the internet after I had already booked up, I was not surprised that they were absolutely true. The food was bland and cold. And if you liked salad and fresh fruit you were fine. The cake was sometimes nice but often too sweet. If you were lucky and caught the chips when they were first put out they were nice but otherwise cold.

However, on the gala nights I recall the food was very good. For instance I liked smoked salmon starter, gorgonsola appetiser, salmon in mash, baked alaska and the lemon sorbet was nice. Also I loved the morning blackcurrants, red currants, blackberries on top of waffles and cream. Another favourite of mine was taking a little of the italian dishes. Still a bit bland but not quite as much as others.

The worst thing was the blue plastic children's cups we had to drink tea from or coffee out of instead of proper cups which you could only get by buying them.

Another bad thing was that you could only get water at meal times in the buffet having to buy it at other times. Disgusting considering what you had paid and what is on offer on other cruises. Everyone was complaining to each other. And when the temp is in the 90s it is not good.

Everyone complained to each other about the hidden costs like having to pay 7 euros each per day tips. This was just taken off your bill. This is not right.

Tips should not be compulsory.

Also the cost of drinks was more expensive than we would expect to pay. I just went without. I dont need it. However, you could still sit everywhere and refuse them like lots of people did. I did not feel at all embarrassed.

However, there was free cocktails on the first gala night which was very good.

That is if you got there early enough.

Well that is the bad part. The good part was the cabin was great with a balcony to sit out on with two chairs and a table and the cabin itself was nice and bed comfortable.

I thought the theatre was good and the shows but it was the same most nights with a variation. The trouble was this bloke at the start sent you to sleep having to listen to this boring preamble you didnt want to hear even when your turn came to have the English bit after all the foreign stuff. So I was asleep. Why we had to have that I do not know. Spoilt it. Been better to just come in late but risk no seat.

The entertainment was good outside of the theatre. The hosts were fun. I enjoyed being asked to dance as my husband would not. It was good because a lot of it was following the person in the front.

I liked the fun on the pool deck. Like quiz, throwing folks in pool, silly games and all that. There was plenty of sun beds for everyone and free towels.

I really enjoyed the whole cruise even though the food was not good as I did not put on any weight at all where as people say you should put on half a stone. Tells you something about the food doesn't it? I loved looking at the islands we sailed by and waking up to a different place each day. I liked dressing up. The ship was lovely, clean luxurious.

We thought that the embarkation experience was awful. There was pushing by people and we had to wait to get through and allowing people through before us who had not waited at all. It was stressful.

We found all the staff very good indeed

Publication Date: 09/11/11