Volendam Cruise Review by Waryman

Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: FF
See More About: Volendam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Volendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Volendam Deck Plans
Volendam disappointing
This was my fourth cruise all with Holland America. Very disappointed in facilities. Cabin was on port side on deck seven at the stern. First night (after ten) I heard furniture being dragged around above me. This went on until 2:30 am. Got up at 3am and went to check. Saw nothing. This "noise" only happened on nights when the sea was calm.

Being at stern of ship my cabin had an "emergency" door which led to second door opening to a small deck area. On good days and nights people were constantly passing through these doors with lots of door slamming. No rest there. One day in the afternoon I went to lie down and someone was making "repairs" somewhere with a sledge hammer. Went on for a fair time. Anyway, this curtailed my "catnap".

I don't smoke so could smell a lingering cigarette smoke smell as soon as I went in. This odor was reinforced when others smoked on their open verandahs. So I kept my door closed to keep smoke out.

The dining service was rather lax with very bland desserts the norm. Wine steward would take open wine bottle for safekeeping. Next evening at dinner this bottle couldn't be found. Finally I marked one of my own bottles in ink on the label and it did show up the next evening.

When leaving the ship at end of cruise the disembarkation process fell apart as there was a delay in getting the ship "cleared" by authorities. So my "time" for leaving the ship was at 9:00 am and so was everyone else. Big jamb of people made Canada Customs slow.

The weather wasn't great and we had two very rough nights. Glacier Bay was great but cold. Glad I took my winter coat hat and gloves. The three ports we stopped in were wet and rainy. The shopping was fun though! Most of the stores selling precious gems, gold etc. are giving "kickbacks" to cruise lines. Best deals are in independent stores.

Holland American seems to want to get every last penny out of their customers. Bottled water in room was $3.95. Their is a "service charge" on all drinks except tea and coffee which are free in the Lido. The Explorations Cafe had special coffees and cookies etc. for a charge (nothing was free).

Internet service is slow but mostly usable unless satellite dish was blocked.

Publication Date: 09/10/11