Carnival Glory Cruise Review by wavesbreaking

Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: wavesbreaking
Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8B

Disappointed on Glory
I told my husband I would write this up just to let others know so here it is.

Embarkation: Fairly smooth, about a 20 minute wait and we were on the ship about 1:00 PM.

We arrived on the lido deck having put our bags away in the cabin. This was my 3rd time on the Glory and I had just taken my granddaughter in June for her graduation present. This time I traveled with my husband who had also been on the Glory last year, same itinerary. We love going to Canada and enjoy the relaxing port of St. John. We managed to find a booth by the window and thought the buffet was adequate. Good start.

We met our steward and asked him to separate the beds for us, husband snores rather loudly so some space is appreciated. Our steward acted as though this was a big inconvenience and did not get the time until 8 in the evening. We left the room and he fixed the beds. It was a little rocky the first night but appreciated the captain steadying the boat.

First problem: Never stay in room 6371 if you don't like hearing the music so loudly that you feel as though you are in the band. It was amazingly loud, and we had never encountered this problem before.

Next we arrived at our early dining room assignment having been notified that they changed our table, we didn't know why but the table we would have had would have been right at the door so we were grateful. The menus had changed since I was on the ship two months earlier, decreased the selections and added new categories. I got the steak which was my usual default item and it tasted as if it were bad. My husbands pork chops were delicious and so we shared. Everywhere we went though at dinner or visiting a show, we encountered children about the age of 2 through 4 screaming. We sat several meals and some shows watching as parents chose to ignore this and the toddlers would scream at the top of their lungs, not quite sure what was going on there, I've raised 4 kids and would have removed them as clearly they weren't happy with what was going on. Not the ship's or Carnival's fault but frustrating just the same. We did meet with some hesitation when we asked for an additional starter such as a soup and a salad although the food on a whole was pretty good. We loved breakfast in the Platinum dining room and had most of our lunches there as well. Sometimes the choices were not so many but if we didn't feel full there are plenty of other places to grab something else.

Picture taking is way over the top, everywhere you go and everything you do, after a while we got good at saying no.

If you are not visiting a port it is very dead on the ship and food choices are a little difficult to navigate that day, no dining room open for lunch and some of the hours for dining choices are different than the sea day schedule.

This time different from my first visit to Glory the Cruise Director Josh had a real desire to make it seem like one big party. Way too many announcements, night before the last, when there is a Mexican buffet at 11:30 pm, very loud music is played until about 1:00 PM. I know because we heard every note in our room, if you love to party our room would be a hit.

The last night we ate at the Emerald steakhouse and as usual it was great. the food is delicious and in my opinion well worth the extra surcharge of $30.00 each person.

Debarkation: Its hard sometimes to be out of your room by 8:30 and not have to drag your bags to breakfast only to sit around for a couple of hours afterwards waiting for your section to be called. They did the best they could though and the only other mistake we encountered was we didn't know how long the debarkation was going to take so we had to take a late train which kept us sitting at Penn station for most of the day.

All in all the chocolate melting cake makes it all better and can't wait until I get to order another. I will definitely pick another ship so that we learn something new but we really lucked out by sailing in between hurricanes.

Publication Date: 09/10/11