Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by bklynangel

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by bklynangel
Allure of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Member Name: bklynangel
Cruise Date: August 2011
Cabin Category: D5
Entertainment 5+

ALLURE OF THE SEAS HURRICANE IRENE 8/21/11- 8/28/11
My cruise on the Allure of the Seas was alot different than I expected.

My vacation started on August 18th, 2011, when I boarded Amtrak from Trenton, New Jersey at 4:18pm. I decided to leave a few days early to meet some friends who cruised with us (me and my husband) last year, same time on the Oasis of the seas. The train ride was a bit more rocky that I expected this time. During our night on the train, the engineer continued to blow the whistle throught each town and putting the breaks on real hard. We both managed to get some sleep and arrived the next night at 6 pm. We had a sleeper car, which was comfortable and the food on the train was pretty good. That night we checked into the Rennassaunce Cruise port hotel. It was a very beautiful hotel, but we didnt expect to have party people next door who didnt like to sleep all night. Several times i went to the front desk to complain, but the lady at the desk said it would only be temporary and that the noisy people would be leaving the next morning. my husband and I were relieved to know that we might get some sleep the next night, but that wasn't the case...we got noisier neighbors the next night. The night before the cruise, we met some cruisecritic friends from last years Oasis of the seas sailing which was around the same time as this cruise, only last year. That evening we went to John Lloyd park to watch the Oasis of the seas sail. It was very thrilling.

The morning of August 21, the hotel had a shuttle to the pier, so we boarded it at around 11:00 am. I handed one of the people at the pier my medical note and they allowed me to sit with the handicapped and wheelchaired people and within 20 mins, Me and my husband were on the ship. We headed to the park cafe for a roast beef sandwhich, which was full of fat. I was so disappointed , but decided to try it again another day and it was much better then.

During sailaway, my husband and I and a few cruisecritic friends did a wave from the back of the ship and photos were taken from portevergladeswebcam.com and the photos are a great memory for all of us.

That night, me and my husband booked Giavannis table. I must say, the food was very good there but I fet pretty rushed. Me and my husband were done in 45 mins with diner.

We were in a D5 oceanview balcony room 9582...The room was very quiet, but location was not that great. I did alot of too much walking and would definately think twice before booking that room again . It's really great if you like quiet, but if you dont like too much walking, the room would not be for you.

The first night, we went to see Chicago. I was extrememly tired and wasnt really interested in it. It was nothing like hairspray....the props were plain and not very exciting to me.

During sometime that evening, Capt Zini made an announcement that we would not be going to Nassau that next morning due to hurricane Irene. I really didnt care since ive been there several times.

That next day we had some rough waves and all through the night. The pool water was swaying in all the pools. Me and my husband dont get seasick , so it didnt bother us.

As far as i can remember, the second night was the diving show....not much to say about it, but all the shows were excellent.

We spent some time walking around the ship...seeing the parades which were all good and shopping on the ship.

During the days at sea, my husband wanted to see the 3 D movies. I didnt want to wear the glasses cause they werent wrapped , but i didnt want to seem like a bore, so i joined my husband to see the movie. It was boring so we left early.

The headliner show was great, we had the Nelson Twins and sat right in the front row. They were fantastic and like i did mention, all the shows were outstanding.

I visited the casino, played alittle on the slots, lost alittle money and left.

I was surprised to find a few neighbors of mine from years ago on the same sailing.

The next day, my husband developed pink eye and had to go to the infirmary. He waited two hours to be seen and no one came down until one of the ice skaters got hurt, then the dr showed up, but still didnt see my husband. Two guys were in there that got hurt playing basketball, one with a broken nose and not one piece of ice was given to them until they started complaining. My husband never did get to be seen.I am kinda worried about the emergency and safety of the guests. Not enough medical staff on this ship.

We stopped in St Thomas and went to Megans bay...thought I was saving money doing it myself ,but you only save about 3 dollars a person, so your better off doing the excursion from the ship. Most of the rest of the day went well, spent time at the pool.

The food wasnt as good to me as it was on the Oasis..some things were good, some were not so good. I had a hot dog at the dog house and that was good. The buffet wasnt that good...just lots of salads and not such a big selection. Went to Johnny Rockets for a chocolate float and got a vanilla shake with chocolate syrup which diappointed me so i went to the ice cream shop for a scoop of chocolate ice cream and put it in my johnny rockets shake and took the vanilla out and gave it to my husband.

The character breakfasts were one of the highlights of the ship and getting photos with characters was fun.

We went to St. Maarten and I loved it. Went on the ferry to the island to shop. There is a beach right there, but wasnt interested in going to it. Diamonds international has free internet so we headed there to send some e mails home. Thhis island is very tropical and beautiful, I would have loved to stay there overnight to get to see more of the island. Didn't get to the french side but would have like to go there, there just wasnt enough time.

Our last stop was Nassau. We got off the ship in sunshine and there were about 3 other ships in port. We headed down the main street to shop and just look aroound and then the downpours came. We tried to make it back to the ship, but had to wait.

By this time, my husband had pink eye in both eyes and since we were getting off the ship the next day and knew by then we couldnt go home, Amtrak and flights were cancelled, I told him I would take him to the hospital the next morning.

Disembarking the ship was a nightmare....it took so long to get off the ship and I was sorry I didnt walk off the ship as I did last year.

The night before when we found out we couldnt go home, people were rushing to make arrangements as soon as possible. I was on the phone for 45 mins booking a hotel...I finally booked my favorite, Hilton Marina.

Now we were left in ft lauderdale four days extra with no money, only a charge card. We purchased bus passes in ft lauderdale...took husband to hospital and we went to the beach one day and ate in bubba gumps. Two days before we came home, I developed the worse eye infections and im still recovering slowly. My dr says my eyes are tramatic since i had an allergic reaction to the meds. I am now 10 days without full eyesight, swollen and blown up eyes and bloody. This was the worse thing that has ever happened to me on a cruise.

Finally four days after disembarkment, we were able to get another reservation on amtrak in a bedroom car which was alot more roomier and i didnt enjoy the food on amtrak on the way home, better than on the ship.

All in all, we arrived home on sept 2,nd and dont know for sure if Ill ever do this ship again.

I am now trying to recover, cant do a thing until im healed.

My recommendation to everyone...if you have a choice for the Allure or Oasis...take the Oasis

Publication Date: 09/10/11