Thomson Dream Cruise Review by Irene Crawford: Perfect Holiday Maybe!

Irene Crawford
0 Post

Perfect Holiday Maybe!

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

My Partner and I booked this cruise just under 3 weeks before sailing and were able to get it at a really low price. I paid the extra to pick my cabin and it was midship on deck 7 (which I think is the best position.) I had experienced a very noisy cruise with NCL because our cabin had been at the front of the ship, being wakened very early every morning when we docked at port. Reading all the reviews, I was a bit apprehensive about the condition of the ship's furnishings. I need not have worried on any score. The cabin was quite roomy and the bed very comfortable. The carpets and walls in the public areas are a bit garish, a throwback from Costa, I suspect, but all the bars and dining rooms were lovely.

The staff were exceptional, so helpful and happy all the time. Always plenty of staff around to help. the entertainment was very good, especially Paul, the entertainments Manager, who was very funny and had a lovely nature. The best group were Strum Jam, great female singer More and great musicians.The food was lovely, with plenty of choice. We ate every night in the waiter service Orion. You really felt you were on a special night out. The Ports of call were excellent and the tours very organised, although the Dali museum did not allow enough time,considering it took 1 hour each way and the full length of tour was only 4 hours. The guide agreed with me.I still think Thomson tours are a bit expensive.

Thomson were very organised and professional from the port arrival, luggage handling etc. We flew from Edinburgh, rain bouncing off the ground, early morning and were sitting on the ship having lunch looking over a beautiful Palma with blue sea and sky. The only fault was that there was not enough pitch space between the seats on the plane. The worst I have experienced. The whole holiday was very enjoyable however and we can't wait to go on another Thomson cruise next year - think we have found our perfect type of holiday. Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Dream 7111

Quiet location, no engine noise.comfy bed. bathroom a little dated. plenty of closet space. poor lighting. quite spacious. Prefer hairdryer in main cabin.

Palomos (Barcelona). Did not do tour to Barcelona as we have visited before. Went on Dali Tour. Fascinating but not enough time as tour was only 4 hours and it was 1 hour each direction by coach. Would have liked more time in museum and also in the lovely town selling Dali gifts (not available any where else.) Guide agreed with me. Palomos was pleasant town.

Loved Ajaccio. Very chic. Again did not opt to do tours, but enjoyed visiting Napoleon's museum right in town centre. Fellow passengers were annoyed they had missed this and wondered why Thomson did not point this out on the daily info sheet. Also enjoyed going for swim in the sea and were grateful for the use of Thomson's beach towels. Local market good too.

Went on tour with Thomsons to Sorrento (Do it yourself). Very pleasant and informative guide. Reasonable lunch in local restaurant with Thomsons deal. Plenty time to explore. Naples seemed to be intimidating to visit.

Read 642 Naples Reviews

Did not go on any tour as had visited Rome before. The tours were too expensive.There were kiosks tours outside the port offering less expensive options by express train etc. Enjoyed walking about town and bought leather bag at reasonable price.