Carnival Pride Cruise Review by angelsx22: Crusing after Hurricane Irene

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

Our Cruise Vacation out of Baltimore, Maryland August 2011

Our cruise was delayed because of Hurricane Irene. Instead of 7 days we sailed for 6 days. Our ports of call were also changed from Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport Bahamas to Port Canaveral FL, Nassau Bahamas and Freeport Bahamas.

So instead of starting out on Sunday August 28,2011 we left on Monday August 29, 2011.

Let me tell you about us. myself 42, and my Darling husband (DH) 48, have been married for 16 years and have two wonderful boys (TB) 11 & 12 . This is DH and I's 3rd cruise and TB 2ND cruise. We have been on Royal Caribbean for our honeymoon and last year on the Carnival Miracle out of New York.

Lets start from the cruise port in Baltimore. Wonderful, fast, and efficient! We were out of the terminal in less than 30 minutes. Once we were on the ship we were able to go to our room. We ran into a little snag on the room key. There was a battery problem with the lock More and that was quickly taken care of! Then we went to explore the ship.

The decor was surprisingly pleasant. I was prepared for some harsh decor after I had read some other reviews. There were classic paintings duplicated around the ship. We did not find anything distasteful.

Our stateroom nice. Our cabin Steward Alison (guy) was wonderful you did not see him that often but you knew that he had been there. We loved the towel animals he left for us. My favorite is the monkey hanging from the ceiling. The room was always clean. He even put away our shoes. I would have really loved to take him home with us!

In the Normandie Dining room our Waitress Retno was wonderful she did a superb job taking care of us. She knew our names by day two and our likes on drinks. they work really hard on that ship to please the guests. The singing and dancing the wait staff did was great. We were seated with another family. The other family consisted of husband and wife, daughter 11, son 8. We lucked out to get a nice family to share our evening meals with. We always found something to talk about. I must tip my hat to Carnival for the wonderful match up!

The entertainment was OK! the shows were good but we liked the comedians and the juggler better. The comedy shows had you busting at the seams! It was a lot of fun. TB did not like that they could not go to the 18 and older adult comedy shows. They did not think it was fair!

TB were a little disappointed in the timing of lazer tag games 6:30-7:30 we had early seating for dinner. They did get to play once on the last day they had lazer tag at 1:45 but there was such a line up that they only got to play once. Here is an Idea for Carnival for their new ships take out one of the bars and put in a lazer tag room. Just think of the money they could make at $5.00 per game if it was available in a permanent place and longer.

While TB were playing lazer tag I went to the Sip life Q&A. Wow was that an eye opened. Some of their contracts are for 6 months and they do NOT get a day off for 6 months they work about 70 hours a week. I really don't think i could go that long without seeing my family. Also on the Carnival Pride there are 47 different nationalities! WOW!

I and DH went for the galley tour. It was really interesting and I was amazed at the shear size of the galley.

DH utilized the running track and gym. He would go to the track early in the morning before the walkers would get to the track. If the track was closed due to high winds he went to the gym. He thought it was adequate.

On the lido deck there is always the problem of chair hogging. People get up early and put a towel on a lounge chair, so when you go up to the pool you search for a long time to find a lounge chair! Usually with no luck. and if you find one it is not near the pool! so trying to watch your children while in the pool has to be done in a regular chair not in a lounge. But it is what it is.

TB did not join the the kids clubs! they thought it was boring. So they went on the water slide, played ping pong and miniature golf and went to the arcade. Or went in the pools and hot tubs.

The photographers were constantly taking pictures any chance they got. I'm a sucker for good group pictures so I spent a good chunk of change on pictures.

The buffet was OK! Lines were always long. If you want better control of what you eat avoid the buffet! The deserts were really good. My men liked the pizza, sometimes too much! TB and I liked the hot coco. We liked to go for the midnight buffet to see what kind of food they were serving. The Mexican was really good. The part of the the buffet I did not care for was some of the other passengers, coming to breakfast in their PJ's.

My only complaint about the Carnival Pride has nothing to do with the ship. It has to do with some of the guests that DO NOT SUPERVISE THEIR CHILDREN! There was a group of kids that ran around the ship like the were just let out if the zoo. Spraying ketchup on the wall. I herd of one incident where they threw a glass on the floor out of the elevator. They came into the lido buffet one night just being extremely disruptive and loud that most of the people got up and left none of the staff did anything about it. I thought there was a curfew for children?

Even though our vacation was cut short a day overall it was a Great Vacation and I have already put a deposit on next years cruise! I think we are going to try the Carnival Dream next year ! I will let you know how it goes! Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Balcony Panorama 8111

We were on Deck 8 one down from the spa and gym! DH loved that fact! Our cabin was forward of the ship and we were on the same floor as the Bridge we thought that was cool! Even being so close to the bridge it was very quiet. You don't hear anything from the other rooms. Which is really nice when you are in your rooms you want to feel like you are the only people on the floor. Our cabin sleeps 4 we had a king bed for myself and DH. The Couch was converted into a bed for one of TB and a berth came out of the ceiling for the other. The vanity/ desk area was nice DH thought that the hair dryer came unattached from the desk (it dose not). LOL Each bed has its own reading light. The bathroom is a bit small but very efficient! There are product samples in the bathroom when you get in your room. In the shower there is body wash and shampoo dispenser, but I brought my own! as For closet space it is adequate, but if the room has four females in it it would not be enough! here is a small refrigerator in the room stocked and you can consume the contents for a fee. Or if you want you can have it locked or emptied. We used the safe in the room to keep our passports, cell phones,car keys and extra cash in. There is No fee for the safe. I absolutely loved the balcony! All four of us were on it at once yes it only has two chairs but we were usually looking at the scenery when we were out there. DH and TB were on the balcony and saw a pod of dolphins swimming by! This is the 2ND time we have had a room like this one. and will most likely getting the same type of room next year.

Freeport was OK! We knew we were going here! We decided on doing the Glass Bottom boat tour. TB loved it. The drive was through some very devastated areas. and the air conditioning was barely on. it was a 20 minute ride to the dock but first a walk threw the market place. once on the boat they told us all about the buildings on either side of the shores. Then to the site for the fish. We saw a nice variety of fish. I took lots of pictures. it was not easy to take pictures swaying back and forth leaning down ward! We even got to feed the fish The boys liked it. Then off to the next site. We were not able to go over the sunken ship because there was a scuba tour there! But we did see a turtle and a barracuda and a shark! So that made it worth while! When we were back to the shore we did a little shopping in the market place. Then back on the bus to the ship! The ride back seemed hotter than the ride there! Once off the bus I went back to shopping. So It was not a total loss! LOL

Read 779 Freeport Reviews

Another port we were not happy about. But again we made the best of it. At this port we decided to book the tour to Blue Lagoon Island. We met the tour guide out side of the ship they took our tickets and put a bracelet on each of us. then gave us a card for the lunch buffet. Then we walked threw the terminal over to the dock for the boat to the Island. But as you are walking to the boat you are surrounded by vendors trying to sell you anything you can DH referred to it as being walked threw a river of piranha! I had a woman come up to me and try to put a necklace on me when I pulled away she tells me it is a Bahamian tradition and it was free!So she put the necklace on me then went over to DH asking for a donation. When he said no she came back to me and took the necklace telling me he was too cheap to give a donation. Finally on the boat that was over crowded we get to the Island. It was beautiful. But we were informed that we had 2 hours! $90. for two hours! What a rip off! we got a few lounge chairs with an umbrella and put our things down and went in the water! it was so beautiful! After a while we went to the buffet, that really was not a buffet! You gave your card in and in return they gave you a tray with a cheese burger, BBQ chicken, rice & beans, fruit wedges and a tossed salad. you did not serve yourself (I like that part!) then you went to get your drink and plastic ware. The lunch was pleasantly good! Then back to the water for some more fun! then time to go! going back you were served complementary fruit punch or rum punch. Then time to ask for a tip as you are leaving the boat! Getting off the boat was not as bad as getting on. It had started to rain so the vendors were trying to cover all of their merchandise up so they were too bust to bother you! Getting back to the ship was pleasant even getting soaked in the down pour!

Read 2644 Nassau Reviews

We were not thrilled about going to Port Canaveral but it is what it is. This is the port they replaced Grand Turk with. But we did find an adventure we thought would be good and it was Great! We did Air-boats and Alligators. We got on a coach bus at the port. and we were greeted by our tour guide Tim really nice young man. On our ride to the Lone cabbage palm fish camp to go on the twister air-boat ride Tim had plethora of information about the natural habitat that is Florida. He told us all about the animals and plants. ( I did not tell TB that this was an educational tour! LOL) We arrived at the fish camp on our way in we saw our first alligator (just a baby). My youngest and I had a run in with a few fire ants! (YUCK!) but it was on to the air-boat. That was a blast! I am glad I decided to put my hair up! They give you ear protectors because that fan is really loud! On our ride we did see some alligators. It was really cool! After we got off the air-boat we were treated to some fried alligator tail and a presentation from the Care Foundation, WWW.CAREfoundation.org. they brought 2 snakes (yuck)1 ball python and 1 albino Burmese python. They also brought an opossum, an alligator and a capuchin white faced monkey named Rosie. Rosie was the star of the show. TB got to hold her, well she actually crawled on them. For a small donation of $5.00 I got to take a picture if Rosie and my boys. What cute pictures I got! it was worth every penny. So for a port of call that we were not happy about going to we all loved our adventure!