Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Helen Lane: Many extra costs and crowded

Helen Lane
0 Post

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Many extra costs and crowded

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

My family's opinions and experience on Carnival Magic were probably very different from many others as we were not prepared to spend massive amounts of money on overpriced things. We also had the lowest price cabins and we are British/New Zealanders and the ship was American with many American's.

Kids Club: My 14 year old said this was one of the best holidays she has had.

All staff aboard were amazing. I have never had such wonderful service.

Gym: Fantastic machines but far too hot to train at a really high intensity.

Cabins: Not nice,noisy,could not sleep and had to sleep in a single bed without my husband. Tiny T.V.near my husbands bed but there was nothing to watch anyway.

Food: The main restaurant on Lido deck it had a variety of food and it is open more or less all the time. It surprised me that the plates and glasses were plastic. I did not mind, in a way it is a good idea. There was a large range of nice food. The other restaurant More was formal, the food was great but my husband hates anything formal so from the elegant night onwards we did not go there.

Many extra costs came up which made us angry, tips $10 a day per person, paying to get off the boat e.g. paying 5 euro's at various ports (shuttle bus) with lots of long queues. Overpriced Carnival trip e.g. Pompeii $199 per person, if you go yourself train plus entry cost 15 euro (children under 18 free at Pomeii).

Very crowded on the ship if you were not avoiding other passengers you were avoiding staff and even when you were relaxing people were busy everywhere. Everywhere you were bombarded all the time with things that Carnival pushed you to buy, they pushed you into photos, entertainment was things like bingo or the casino which you would have to walk through. Most of the other entertainment was just quiz's, however there was a fantastic illusions show. Plastic painted gold was the general decor throughout the ship - cheap looking.Lovely and quiet in the evening on lido deck under the stars watching Cinema with free popcorn.

Stops: Great places to see but hard work as after you got to each port there was still a lot of travelling. I think you need more time to see some of these places as they are so amazing.

Although we had some very good times on board we could not wait to get off and go home to relax. We felt like black sheep being herded with white sheep a lot of the time. We now realise that cruises don't really suit us but everyone else seem to love it. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Upper/Lower Main 2203

Our two cabins were 2203 and 2204. I should not expect much because these are the cheapest. The things you put in the bathroom are great, especially the toothpaste, shampoo and razor. Service great. We could not sleep because there was something like a washing machine spinner or generator coming from below. I also could not sleep on with my husband because there was only two single beds. I could not see the T.V., because it was in his corner of the room. It was really tiny. I felt we did not need our rooms cleaned so often so I tried to give the poor guy a rest for 3 days. He was great. There was lots of space for our clothes but the pictures on the wall were awful. Why not put Van Gogh prints or something which is very popular and colourful.