Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by WEGL81: Very relaxing, great entertainment value

WEGL81
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Very relaxing, great entertainment value

Sail Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My wife and I booked Freedom for our 25th anniversary and couldn't have been happier with the decision. The captain made a wise course change decision that avoided Hurricane Irene.

We mostly enjoyed the nightly entertainment and the ability to do as much or as little as we wanted each day. Cabin service was exemplary. Everyone from the Captain on down was as friendly as could be. We booked a superior oceanview stateroom and really enjoyed the balcony views during the evening and sea days. We had reserved all of our shows beforehand which turned out to be a good move, especially for the ice show which was always full. Ate at "Chops" on our anniversary night and was very pleased with the food. I didn't understand why I couldn't reserve a later time online, though, as I had to take a 5:30 reservation time. We were the only people in the whole place at that time and didn't see another diner until 6:30 or so. I would've preferred a later reservation and maybe I just needed to call More once on the ship. Also ate at Johnny Rocket's one day which was also very good. Other than those two premium locations, the food, while passable, wasn't very high quality. I would understand why, given the number of people on the ship, but I have been on other cruises where the selection and quality was much higher. It's a small complaint, though, as overall the cruise was wonderful. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroo, Deck 7 6220

Cabin 6220 was excellent as far as size and accommodation. We ended up walking a lot, though. One reason is that Freedom of the Seas is a large ship, but also because all dining is at the rear of the ship and our cabin was near the front. I will say that the hallway was pretty noisy but it would've been that way anywhere on the ship except maybe the back. Balcony was nice and the water pressure in the shower was surprisingly good.

We had been here before and were not really interested in any excursions. However, we went through a lot of the shops right near the port. The vendors were friendly enough and willing to make deals. We were only looking for a few specific things so it made it easy to skip the shops that didn't have anything we wanted.

Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

When this gets finished, it might be a very nice port to visit. However, there was a lot of construction going on and we didn't really feel like leaving "the compound" to go visit Falmouth proper. The vendors inside the port compound were very friendly and not as pushy as I had expected. We didn't go into the local town, though, and our experience in Jamaica has not been one where we felt safe enough to go off on our own. Our tablemates reported multiple attempts to sell them drugs, both from taxi drivers as well as law enforcement officers.

Read 471 Falmouth Reviews

We love Grand Cayman but it would be so much better if they had a dock that could accommodate cruise ships. Tendering to a port is such a pain, even when it goes well. Due to the reverse course we did not get to spend as much time here as we wanted. We did get to snorkel on our own, which is all we wanted to do. The shops here are more of a permanent nature (as opposed to shops that are only there for cruisers).