Grand Princess Cruise Review by Pam Denyer

Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: BA
Cabin Number: C626
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
I'll be back
I have just returned from my first ocean cruise, having previously been on a cruise of the Rhine and Moselle. Nothing could be more different on this cruise. As a widow, and with no one to share my holiday I hoped that I would meet people in a similar situation whilst on the cruise. unfortunately this didn't happem although I shared a table with some very pleasnat couples at dinner. I went along on the first day to the 'singles' meeting, but this was unhosted, and there didn't seem to be anyone else there. I didn't try again, as judging by the embarkation photos there didn't seem to be many singles on board.

My cabin was great, as was my steward. I had breakfast room service, it was great sitting on the balcony each morning eating croissants and drinking coffee. Lovely! Was lucky that my son and his family were staying in their apartment in Malaga so I was able to spend the day with them on that port call. Apart from that I didn't take any organised trips. I felt the price was high, and I had already paid double the single fare as I was travelling alone. (I appreciate I was in a double cabin, but try as I might I couldn't eat twice the amount of food!!) didn't enjoy the tender ride in Monte Carlo, and didn't get off in Naples, apart from that really enjoyed looking around the ports of call. I didn't go to the entertainment as I don't enjoy doing that alone. I agree with the previous comment about the photos. Seeing them all being gathered up at the end of the cruise to be discarded it seems ridiculous that they could not be sold at a fraction of the price.Was also surprised that the bottle of water in the cabin at the start of the trip was charged. I would have expected they could have stretched to at least one complimentary one per cabin.

Enjoyed the Wake Show on TV every morning. Found it very informative.

I don't enjoy travelling alone, but if it has to be done then I feel cruising is a good way to go, very relaxing.

I would certainly do it again.

Publication Date: 09/07/11