Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Sabeaux: We survived Hurricane Irene...and will cruise again :)

Sabeaux
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Bermuda Cruises

We survived Hurricane Irene...and will cruise again :)

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

This is my 8th cruise and 2nd on RCCL...Have to say that I did try to get out of going on this cruise..called the insurance agent but the only way we could get out was if they closed all roads which they didn't ...so off we went...Me,DH..our friends and their kids aged 14 and 15.

The embarkation was great..we came early and they were boarding early...so we went right on...had lunch in windjammer...I thought the food was very good and we were able to find places to sit. We then walked around the ship found a place to sit and we waited till 1:30 till our rooms were ready....We had an aft E1 balcony and it was a great room...the balcony was large we had a nice size round table with 2 chairs and 2 chaises which made me very happy :)I would want another aft cabin anytime I could get it.

The first day was very rough...walking was very funny bouncing from side to side in the halls. Captain told us we would have rough seas for the first day and a half but that we were safe More and not to worry. I think I would have liked to hear more from him. We were all very lucky took our meds and did not get sick. The first night was very hard closet doors slamming open and closed and draws opening and closing...I was very happy for Ambien..and was able to sleep. Everything outside was closed which I know they had to do but there was really not much to do...they needed to be more upbeat and cash in the Irene thing...Hurricane party...hurricane drink..etc..I really think they could have added something even if it was more dumb games...but nothing changed..we had tickets for the ice show on Sunday at 5:00 of course it was cancelled..they announced that they would reschedule the shows...this was of course reasonable.

I was very happy with MY Time Dinning..even though we didn't get the time we wanted every day..the wait staff was fantastic..always trying to please.

I thought the food was very good and found something yummy to eat each night.

I was not thrilled with Jimmy Rhodes..on other cruises I have been on the cruise director all came on the loud speaker to tell you all the things that were happening on the ship...not on this one...the only reason I knew what he looked like was that I went to some of the shows...The shows I saw were good..nothing special usual cruise fare...I have to say I was spoiled by entertainment on the Epic.

I was promised some complementary things from my TA...had problems with that not RCCL's problem but they were really not helpful at all even though I had it all in an email from my TA...it really didn't get handled until I came home. I must say that I have had spa treatments each time I have cruised on NCL we had a week spa pass..heaven...the spa people were always polite and helpful...not so on this cruise I found the spa attendants to be rude and totally uncaring...we also had the same problem with the specialty restaurant Portofino..called them many times always told me they would call back but never did.

All in all it wasn't my dream cruise but fun was had..and I will cruise again not sure I will pay the extra money for RCCL Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 7390

Bermuda is always beautiful..but we did have a little rain...off and on both days...we had a fantastic private tour the first day..our tour guide Duke was knowledgeable and funny and took us all over the island...really felt like I saw things I would not have on my own...we were out 6 hours and probably could have done more..even with the rain which was luckily when we were in the van. Second we were going to horseshoe beach but it was really raining in the morning so we ended up at snorkel park which turn out to be fine..we snorkeld for about 2 1/2 hours and had a very good time...did some shopping and back to the ship..it w2as a lovely though short visit to Bermuda. :)