Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by candlequeenie3: We survived Irene on Explorer of The Seas!!!!

candlequeenie3
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Bermuda Cruises

We survived Irene on Explorer of The Seas!!!!

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

We drove to Cape Liberty from Binghamton, NY which took about 3 hours and were surprised at how efficient the boarding process was. Since we were first time cruisers we really didn't know what to expect.

I think we arrived, parked our car, unloaded our luggage and arrived on the ship all within about 45 minutes time. As we made our way toward the Windjammer for lunch I was amazed out how large the ship was and the Royal Promedade was absolutely amazing!

Upon arriving to our Balcony Stateroom I found a piece of my luggage outside someone else's stateroom which was a bit scary to me. Thank goodness I found it.

Our stateroom was small but it suited our needs fine. The two beds pushed together made for a very large bed and I would have loved to take home the linens because they were so luxurious to me! I was so happy we got the balcony because I was able to enjoy the sunset and ocean breeze and I remember feeling sorry for those who didn't have a balcony. More

The first night was insanely rocky and the captain said we were experiencing 20 foot waves. Many people got seasick despite taking medicine (myself included) and I didn't even sleep the whole first night. I thought the nightmare would never end.

But by SUnday afternoon the Atlantic was calm and peaceful and it was like a completely different experience. From that point on I had the time of my life!

We chose my time dining and at in the Columbus dining room 4 out of 5 nights. Our Assistant waiter Reuben made our dining room experience very enjoyable as he remembered our names and our preferences. The food certainly wasn't the greatest I've ever had but there were a few things in the dining room that I absolutely loved! The lobster bisque was delicious and the Berry Mousse was great too! The duck was dry and forgettable.

We also bought a 5-bottle wine package which suited us well because we ordered a different bottle each evening. We took one bottle home with us. You can order the wine and dinner and take it back to your state room if you want to as well.

We ate at Portofino one night as well and that was where we had the greatest experience! The seafood was excellent and the service was impeccable. The desserts were scrumptious and they gave us an extra dessert because it was our anniversary. We also recieved an extra dessert in the main dining room one night because it was our anniversary.

For this cruise we also pre-ordered the Ultimate Romance Package II which included hors d'ovres before supper each day and chocolate covered strawberries before bed each day as well as spa treatments, robes, etc.

It was worth it and I would recommend it to anyone looking for that extra bit of romance.

The spa was exceptional and relaxing.

The shows were awesome and our favorite was the "Love & Marriage" Game show. Don't miss it but don't bring the kids...

"The Quest" Game show was hilarious and again an adult-only event.

We can not speak about the quality of kids-only entertainment because we didn't bring our kids but the arcade and teen only area was pretty cool.

Every where we went it seemed there was something to do or maybe a piano player to listen to in one of the lounges.

We tried Johnny Rockets for lunch one day and were not overly impressed with it but they do serve all you can eat fries!

We ate at the windjammer for breakfast alot and were pretty satisfied with the convenience of being about to grab and go!

I didn't order a water package or soda package and was happy I didn't because water is available in the windjammer and I didn't order enough soda to make a package worth the price.

Our cruise back home was calm and quiet and disembarking was just as efficient as embarkation was.

I will sail with Royal Caribbean again and I will go to Bermuda again someday.

We are planning on sailing on one of the newer ships next time but Explorer was beautiful and well-kept and we would recommend it to anyone! Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 7272

Great balcony view, tiny shower/bathroom. Comfortable bedding!

My favorite moment of the cruise was when we pulled into Kings Wharf, Bermuda on Monday morning. What a beautiful and clean island! I fell in love with Bermuda and my heart is still there at this moment. We tried to cram all we could into our two days there and we did accomplish quite a bit.

Day 1- We bought the two day transportation pass for $20 each (it's good for the bus or ferry) and took the bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach. It was breathtaking and it was my first time ever swimming in the ocean! DOn't miss it! Then we took the Devil's Isle beach snorkel excursion and got to learn alot about the island as we cruised to a private beach where we snorkeled, swam and kayaked. It was awesome! I would recommend it to anyone.

After that we took the Pirates Sunset Glass Bottom boat tour which was another great experience. It was cut short early by a bad storm approaching but it was fascinating and takes you to an actual ship wreck!

Day 2- We took the Ferry to Hamilton for some shopping at Gosling's and Carol Holdings (these were recommend spots for shopping). Carol HOlding's is excellent for ladies as they have jams, rum cakes, household items, fine china etc.

THen we took the bus from Hamilton to ELbow Beach, then from ELbow Beach to Gibb's Lighthouse and from Gibb's Lighthouse back to Dockyard for some more shopping.

Even though it rained in Bermuda it was still an amazing place to be and I can't wait to go back again someday.