Grand Princess Cruise Review by billi65: Not so Grand!

billi65
0 Post

Compare Prices on Grand Princess Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Not so Grand!

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

I took my partner on the Grand Princess having sailed with Princess before. We couldn't wait to get off and get back home.

I have never been on a cruise ship with so many old and disabled people in my life. The entertainment seemed to be based around the 65-85 age group.

As usual the staff are great. No problems there and special mention to Vasili and Alex in the Casino which is where we spent most of our time and money as we were so bored with the rest of the ship. My partner doesnt even gamble normally!!!

If you are expecting to have nice relaxing hot tubs..forget it. For some public health reason, they are not allowed to put the bubbles on in the hot tubs, so basically the hot tubs were warm pools. I asked two staff members what the problem was with the tubs but got no answers.

The nightclub was empty most nights. I have DJ'd myself and was quite surprised to see two DJ's sitting playing music from a laptop! Great style!

The cruise More entertainment manager must have a preconceived idea of what British people like as entertainment. We even heard a quartet playing "roll out the barrels". On leaving Gibralta, they had a Great British Sail Away....people queued for plastic flags and waved them for about half an hour to pre recorded british anthems!! What Fun! We saw one show from start to finish, walked out of one and didnt bother with anymore.

My partner decided to have a 55 minute foot treatment at the spa. The treatment lasted 36 minute and cost $65. So dont waste your money on treatments.The shore excursions are also very expensive. Find a way of getting yourself around. The cheaper wine tasting was $9.50 each for six thimbles of wine. Dont bother.

when we stopped at one of the stops we had to get tender tickets to get of the ship. we waited 45mins to get off the ship which was a waste of time as no-one even checked the tender tickets.So if you are going on a cruise just walk straight through the dining room and go to the tender. This also happened on disembarkation.

The food was ok but i would recommend using the dining rooms. The food is hotter.

I think if you are expecting anything luxurious and relaxing then dont go on this cruise. It was my partner first cruise and last which is a real shame as I have been on Royal Caribbean and loved the ships. Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grand Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Grand Princess Interior Double Emerald Deck A207

There was nothing to do but wander round the streets. None of the shore excursion offered anything exciting. No horse riding, jet skiing etc.