Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by abisha

Member Name: abisha
Cruise Date: August 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 4C
See More About: Carnival Destiny Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Wonderful Family Vacation on the Carnival Destiny
We just completed our cruise on the Destiny which sailed 8/7 to 8/15 to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. We truly had a wonderful time and a great cruise experience.

My husband is disabled with MS and walks with either a cane or walker. We decided to bring his walker. On embarkation day, he was offered a wheelchair (we waited about 1/2 hour for one to show up). Once he was placed in the wheelchair, the attendant/crew member wheeled him right through security (with the rest of us following him), and we were brought to the checkin to get our sail and sign cards and then immediately brought right onto the ship and directly to our cabins..we had 2 insides..2287 and 2279 on the main deck/aft which we liked due to it's close proximity to the elevator/stairs which was just below the main dining room, and also convenient to buffet and aft area of the lido.

Our cabins were very clean and the beds were soooo comfy. We found it to be ample space for two people in a cabin. Our steward was Patrick who kept up our room perfectly. The bathroom was slightly small but the shower was large. There was no sofa or arm chair in the cabin, but a stool under the vanity. There was no fridge or minibar, but they did have a large bottled water which you could buy if opened, which we did (the one bottle lasted me all week as I just needed a little water at night to take some meds).

We found the food in the main dining room very very good (there were a couple of "misses" on some of the dishes, but we did order more than one entree and if one wasn't up to par, the other one was excellent). I really enjoyed the appetizers and the chilled soups..in particular, the strawberry bisque was excellent. Our waiters were Alfredo and Michelle who took very good care of us. We chose the late seating which worked out fine for us. We are used to eating later...and we also liked to take a rest/nap late afternoon or early evening.

We ordered room service a couple of times which came promptly or early.

We did find the lido buffet somewhat lacking in selection. The food was just "ok". Lunch on embarkation day left us with horrible long long lines due to the rainy weather that had everyone inside vs. being outside on deck). DH couldn't even navigate with his walker in the buffet as there was no room getting around chairs and tables, but a crew member came right up to him and took him to the front of the line. We ate there another night..no lines then. They really didn't have a great selection, but the food just "ok". They did have a decent salad bar and had a lot of nice dessert selections.

We had once "at sea" day and enjoyed that very much. It got crowded out by the pools but you could find a spot somewhere. We grabbed a few chairs from the stack and made our own spot near the band under the large screen. The pools were crowded, but not unbearable. My son and I enjoyed the slide, but that line was sooo long so we only went down once. My daughter and I also went to the afternoon tea, which was very nice and quiet and peaceful which was held on the top level in the main dining room all the way aft..a very lovely view of the wake. They came around with a cart that had some cakes and mini pastries. There was a pianist playing nice music as well. It was not your fancy "high tea", but it was still very enjoyable and I do recommend it.

We also enjoyed the "las Vegas style" show in the Paladium Theater. It was nice and had talented singers and dancers. The costumes were nice and similar to what showgirls would wear in Las Vegas reviews, but not raunchy at all..instead very tasteful. Another night we went to the talent show and thought it was fantastic...we had very talented passengers onboard.

Our cruise director was Trevor Block who had a nice personality.

There seemed to be a lot going on all around the ship and I did like the fact that the ship was "lively" at night. There were 800 kids on board of all ages and I found the ship to be very family friendly which I also liked.

I found the ship to be very clean and in very good shape despite it's age.

I do recommend if you are a group or family with kids and decide to split up, be sure to specify a "meeting time and place". On the first day at sea, the kids decided to sleep in a bit while DH and I walked around the ship. They spent hours trying to find us and I them. We were going in circles. I felt bad. From that point on, we made sure to have meeting time/place.

One other thing..beware of some of the "jewelry and watch sales" onboard. They are not of the best quality. DH said the watch sales was a joke as he had seen those same watches in our local discount store..for a lot less. Just be careful what you are buying. We did like their two for $20 sale of tshirts,hats and large straw bags.

We tried to watch a movie one night in Criterion Lounge, but people kept leaving the door opened (even though we tried to keep it shut) and the music from Kareoke next door made it difficult to hear the movie. I think they should have the movie elsewhere.

On disembarkation, we called for a wheelchair, and a crewmember came in about 20 minutes. He took DH and the rest of us to the lounge as we waited for our number to be called and he waited with us. He took DH to customers where he had to switch wheelchairs since that one belonged to Carnival.

I do want to say that if you are disabled and in a wheelchair/scooter or use a walker, you just need to learn to navigate the ship and find out where all elevators are, etc. and allow a little extra time to get here or there, etc.

Overall, I would recommend the Destiny to anyone. We had a wonderful vacation and would sail again on her. We felt Carnival delivered an excellent cruise vacation for a very affordable price. Some of the onboard items were pricey..the photos being very overpriced even though I did buy a handful of them.

Publication Date: 09/05/11
Read the Bahamas ports review by abisha
More Carnival Destiny Cruise Reviews