Norwegian Star Cruise Review by petrinajohns

Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: SF
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

A Life of Luxury
We have just returned from a round trip cruise to Alaska. I had booked a suite as a surprise for my mum (part of a bigger holiday) I told her that we would be in an ocean view cabin so she was completely gob smacked when we were escorted to the aft suite after being whisked through security and check in. I had undertaken a great deal of research before booking the cabin and, now, I am absolutely sure that I made the right choice! The room was lovely and the balcony, a perfect size to enjoy the beautiful vistas as well as being completely sheltered from the wind.

We had a Romance Package included (I know - mother and daughter!!)so we received 2 bottles of sparkling wine, choc coated strawberries, a romantic dinner for two, with another bottle of wine as well as an invite to the honeymoon party (complete with honeymoon pic!)

The cruise was heaven; we dined in Cagneys for breakfast and lunch each day and also Versailles, Aqua, Ginza, Le Bistro and La Cucina. The food and service were excellent, particularly in Cagneys and Le Bistro. Our butler, Andrew, brought us canapes daily, Arnold, our friendly steward, ensured our room was spotless, had plenty of bathroom amenities and created great towel animals and Patrick, our concierge, ensured we had a smooth embarkation and debarkation, had the correct excursions booked as well as providing us with excellent seats in the theatre, Stardust (he also checked several times a day to see if "everything was ok" which it always was!) All staff we encountered were friendly and polite.

The excursions, although some very pricey, were out of this world. We watched bear fishing for salmon at a hatchery in Ketchican, went dog sledding in Juneau, took the catamaran up the Tracey Arm fjord where we watched a huge "shooter" rise up from under the glacier as well as thunderous ice calvings. We also travelled the White Pass railway to Yukon and tried our hand at ziplining which was such fun.

As cruise critic members, we attended the "meet and greet" on the Sunday and secured a really interesting bridge tour on the next "sea day". We also met up with Keith and Kitty, who were great fun.

We thoroughly enjoyed the shows at the theatre; the best being Angels and The Elements. We avoided the jewellery selling hype (I actually found it quite hilarious in the end - did you know I look at my diamond ring 50 times a day?!)

I ahve no previous cruise to compare but this one was just superb, Ok we travelled in style (I still need a new kitchen) but I would unreservedly, recommend our holiday to anyone.

Publication Date: 09/05/11
Read the Alaska ports review by petrinajohns
More Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews