Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by RCME11

Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Charleston
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: 6B
See More About: Carnival Fantasy Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
        7-9 5.0
        10-12 3.0

Carnival Didn't Do the Right Thing!
This was my fifth AND LAST cruise on Carnival. We wanted to go somewhere special and visit a port that we've never been to. I was very disappointed that our itinery had changed. I had checked several days in a row before our vacation, and even checked Carnival's website at 7am the day of the cruise. There were no itinery changes mentioned. We found out when we checked in at noon and they told us that we were going to Key West and Cozumel. We've already been there a few times, so we weren't too happy about it, but we wanted to keep a positive mind-set, especially since we paid a lot of money for this vacation. We called Carnival to ask for a price adjustment before we actually boarded the ship, but I was told they couldn't do anything until we got back. "Not being able to do anything about it" is a common phrase we heard this past week. The other option was to not go on the cruise, but we would not be reimbursed. I don't understand how they could have waited so long to make this decision. It's just not right of them to do something like that.

Now, this is what upsets me more. You have a couple thousand people that are going to be disappointed, especially since they paid a premium to go to Bermuda, and Carnival doesn't offer a price adjustment from the start of the trip or at least throw in some freebies (internet, free soda, alcohol, daycare, photos, on board credit, etc.)? I'm not saying to give us all of these things, but it sure would have made a difference to us if Carnival at least tried to offer us something. We did pay a premium fare to go to Bermuda, and if you're not going to take us there, why should they profit from it? They're were a lot of unhappy and complaining people on board (justified of course), so they could have fixed it from the start of the trip. I called Carnival after we got back, and all they said was that it wasn't their fault about the weather. I completely understand about the weather, and if you have to make itinery changes, fine. But, I paid for a "Special Voyage" at a premium price, so do the right thing and reimburse me the difference you would have charged me if we were suppose to go to Key West. The lady that I spoke with tried to take credit for Carnival reimbursing the difference in the port taxes. That's not Carnival's money in the first place, and yes Carnival had to do it.

Now the second thing that upsets me. Who in their right mind heads into a hurricane? I did not feel safe, especially at 3am. The seas were way too rough and I think it was completely wrong of Carnival to make this attempt. Another route or a cancellation would have been better. It was absolutely horrible. Barf bags taped to the elevators, people falling down the stairs, people throwing up near the dining rooms. My youngest daughter wouldn't take the elevators because they smelled so bad. You had to hang onto the railing when you showered or took the stairs. Just walking from Port to Starboard felt like climbing a steep hill and then running down it. Sleeping the first night was really difficult because of all the motion and being tossed around. All I could think about at 3am was what an ass-nine decision to go into Irene (sorry, the 'outskirt of Irene'). There were a couple of women that had bandages on their heads and they looked pretty banged up. I witnessed one lady falling down the stairs. Another gentleman was really bruised too.

The second day was still too windy/rocky for the kids to use the water slides. And as the large waves subsided to only being 12 feet high, is when our Captain decided to make an announcement. Wouldn't it have been nice to hear from him so he could tell us what to expect and how long to expect it before? How about kindly explaining why our route to Bermuda would no longer be doable? And since Bermuda is known for it's famous beaches, how about picking a port with some nice beaches?

Again, I am not blaming Carnival because of the weather. They could have just made the experience a better one. We had no idea boarding the ship about how bad it was going to get. If passengers were told before boarding, and given the option to cancel and be reimbursed, I'm sure many would have done so. We would have.

Carnival has lost our future business.

Publication Date: 09/04/11