Carnival Dream Cruise Review by donewithcarnival

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Dream Cruise Review by donewithcarnival
Carnival Dream
Carnival Dream
Member Name: donewithcarnival
Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 8N

Rename this ship the Carnival Nightmare
This is the last cruise my husband and I will ever take on Carnival. After being talked into and aft cabin, #8475, buy Audry of Carnival, in stead of our usual balcony suite with VIP check in, we were extremely excited about the prospect of sailing on the new Dream. "Awesome" "Completely Redone" "Classy"

"You won't believe how beautiful this ship is" Her words. Here is the reality.

The shipped was so overcrowded it was impossible to get anywhere on board without a long line. While I hate to use the word trailer trash, I can't help it. There were 1,100 children/teenagers on our cruise. OUT OF CONTROL, rude, nasty, kid's. It was as though as soon as the ship left the dock, the parents said have a great time, to the teenagers at least. Hundreds of drunk, unruly, teenagers. Our first night after dinner (8:15 seating), we went to the casino thinking we would have a nice adult evening. At 10:30, (yes it took 2-hours to get through the horrendous meal), we entered the casino only to be greeted by teenagers running around in wet bathing suits, sitting at the bar, running through the casino. Management did nothing. As the night progressed, it was obvious the kiddies had gotten into the booze. That is just a tiny tidbit of things to come during the next 6-days. The entire trip, the kids ran in hallways, pushed pass people in the hallways and elevators, made the pool and jacuzzis impossible to get into. One poor woman was sitting by an outside jacuzzi with her own small child, only to have the child point to the jacuzzi and say "mommy look, boobies". Yep, drunken kid's in the jacuzzis, gettin naked and peeing. GROSS.

the entire ship was GROSS. The hallways were filthy with room service trays left outside of doors in the narrow hallways sometimes for an entire 24 hours. In addition, the room service carts were left along with the dirty laundry, wet towels, you name it. The 8th deck literally reeked!

We stayed in cabin number 8475, which is one of the "new" aft cabin's with an extended deck. The minute we walked into our room, we had to call for house cleaning to wash the deck and chairs. They were covered with bird crap and filthy. Once under way, the back of the ship is SO hot, we were not able to enjoy being out side for even one of the days. But the most unbelievable part is the entire deck was covered in thick black soot!!! I went out onto the deck after returning from dinner, walked out onto the balcony, and was promptly covered with thick black soot. My dress, $300.00 shoes, legs, arms, everything was covered in it. Also, we had left our very expensive diving gear on the back to dry, and IT was embedded with the stuff. Ruined!

If I could have gotten off that ship at that very minute I would have. I even considered flying home from the next port, that is how bad this cruise was. Housekeeping came, but I insisted on a "manager". Told they were all in a meeting. Finally a manager showed up. She assured me the soot would come off of my feet (it wouldn't for 2-days), and then informed me they knew they have a problem with the soot blowing onto the aft balconies!

Our room steward showed up once a day, at night. He made the bed, barely. Our only request was to have our ice buckets kept full, (the refrigerators are very small, and ours didn't work), and he would look me right in the face and say "yes mam", and then never ever come back with ice. We had to call each and every time to get it. I offered to get it myself, but evidently it's in a secret location. The sheets on our bed were never changed during the entire 7-days. The black, soot covered sheets.

The food in the restaurant was disgusting. We had the 8:15 sitting, at a table for 4. Our "table mates" were nice enough, but all we spoke about each evening was how bad the cruise was, and marveled at how bad the food was. It was a shame really, they were nice people, and it would have been cool to get to know them better. Most of the adults on the ship did nothing but complain... which only made it worse. If there were 1,100 kids/teenagers on the ship, the majority of adults were the parents, and didn't care. Examples of dinner food. Chicken Fingers. I kid you not. The salads were served with the lettuce having turned brown, the shrimp cocktail consisted of 4-little shrimps that had seen better days. All served by a sweaty waiter. I asked our waiter why he was sweating so much, and he said there was no air conditioning in the kitchen. GROSS! And that was where our food was coming out of.. after sitting around no doubt. Also, my only view was of piled up dirty dishes that had not been cleaned up from the previous seating. Big, nasty, dirty piles of dishes. Right in front of me. Most people dressed in shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops. So much for the CLASSY ship.

This ship is the worst we have ever been on. I am sorry if you have already booked a cruise on this ship, and don't mean to bum you out. If you can change to a different cruise line, it might be worth the extra money. If you have small children, or are adults looking for a nice time, this is not the cruise for you. I have pictures of each and every thing mentioned in my post, and if I can figure out how to post them, I will. Believe it or not, I could keep writing things... but, I'm exausted reliving the whole nightmare. Oh, and watch your onboard credit account carefully! We had the $140.00 dollar automatic tip charge removed... in addition to some other things that got on there by "mistake". Again, I'm sorry if you have an upcoming cruise on the Dream, and I have ruined your "dream". Just trying to warn future cruisers. Oh, and this was our 5th cruise on Carnival, we know what we are talking about... It is too bad that in the rating system I have to at least check a number 1. They should have a 0. Even a total rating of 5 is too high.
Publication Date: 09/02/11