“Majestic Fjords. Marvellous maritime relaxation”
Cruise review of Cruise & Maritime Voyages Marco Polo

Claire Atterbury Marco Polo 5 Majestic Fjords. Marvellous maritime relaxation
Claire Atterbury
Member Since
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This was our first cruise. I went with 2 other friends and we had a cabin for 3, which to my surprise was more than generously sized. From the moment we arrived to the second we left we were treated with enormous politesse and helpfulness by all staff. The service was always superb. Our cabin was always spotless and must have been cleaned several times per day as was the whole ship.

We ate Breakfast and Dinner in the restaurant but tended to have a light lunch of soup and a roll in the buffet Bistro so that we didn't explode. I can highly recommend the soups! There was an excellent choice of food - always something new to try or alternatives if the main menu was a little rich. The vegetarian choices were good too.

We went on an all day excursion on the railway at Flam which was excellently orgainised and most enjoyable but on other days we did our own thing and in fact on one day stayed on board to sail to the pick up point. It is true - the best views of the Fjords are from the water and we didn't want to spend much time on a coach going through the mountain tunnels!

We were in the younger age group on board and rather exhausted from our jobs when we embarked so the slower pace and beautiful sights suited us down to the ground and we got through our reading lists and played cards too. Bliss.

We found the nicest places to sit were on the side decks or in the Captains club. Again the staff were fantastic, remembering our names and guiding us through the list of cocktails we tried every evening! Comfortable and relaxing. We were not so keen on Scott's bar - it just wasn't our thing. We only went to a few shows but really enjoyed them although we really loved the lectures and quizzes. We can highly recommend the classical duo before second sitting of Dinner.

We were expecting there to be great push on spending extra (especially drinks)and although we were informed of what was available there was no pressure to buy at all.

As I have said this was our first cruise. Definitely not our last and I would not hesitate to recommend the Marco Polo and her team. However if you are veteran cruisers and like massive ships with cinemas and climbing walls then this may not be for you. It was for us and hopefully will be again.

Overall Ratings
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

12827
Masses of storage - even for 3 of us. Good size shower with excellent water power. Very comfortable beds. Not too noisy - I didn't need the ear plugs I'd taken.
Published 09/02/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Marco Polo Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?