Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by heathgirl: Great ship but the food was really bad!

heathgirl
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Great ship but the food was really bad!

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I would recommend this cruise if you don't care about dining. I was so disappointed with the food on this cruise that we ate three times over the 7 nights in the dining room. The service was actually worse than the food and they have automatic tipping. We ended up eating at the Sushi bar that opens up during that afternoon/evening and then eating the Indian food buffet near the adult pool and grabbing the mexican buffet when it was out.

The same food that is in the cafeteria is served for dinner! I did however, LOVE the entertainment (comedians), sushi bar, tea service, pools, and size of ship. It was a pretty ship.

Our cabin steward was incredible and we tipped him very well at the end of the cruise. He was great! The adult salt-water pool, hot tub area was definitely a plus. We spent most of our time during the days there.

Our ports were Puerto Vallarta and two days in Cabo.

All in all, it was a great cruise. I was just plain hungry most of the More time! The room service was pretty good! We would order grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner in our cabin and some of the time the cheese was really melted good. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Upper

The closet was small but the balcony is the way to go!! We were on the 8th floor midship. They had nice little toiletries in the bathroom - like toothpaste sample, razor, etc. The TV wasn't very good and the volume kept turning up and then down.

In Cabo we just walked around, shopped, and stopped off at this great little bar/restaurant that is outside. It is an American owned place with great food and drinks! Cabo Blue - it is across from the Flea Market near the Marina area. We had the best burgers and fries. The second day, we went back to say hello to them and then went back on board the ship to hang out. We also ate at Captain Jack's (I think it is) on the Marina.

There is another great day sail cruise that you can take with Captain Bob (we did that also last time in Cabo). Day Sail Cabo is the business. He is super fun and also an American. He has a beautiful boat and took us around and we snorkeled and swam in the water. He had everything that we needed and was a great host.

The beach is fun, just to go down and hang out at some of the beach restaurants. They have chairs and stuff that you can use if you hang out and eat or drink.

For super cheap, we hired a water taxi guy to show us around Lovers Beach and Lands End for an hour (it was something like $30 bucks for both of us and $2 beers. :-) We had our own little boat. We didn't get to get off or anything but it was fun!

The work out room was really great! We had a nice time using the cardio and weights. The spa was okay. I was kind of disappointed in it with such a large ship. I also don't appreciate when they tell you how you can improve certain things about yourself and try and sell you all of the products! I really haven't done many spa treatments after this cruise.

This place has kind of gone down hill. It was okay. I am sure that there are some fun things to do and there are great restaurants there. Cabo is our favorite. We just stopped off and ordered lunch and drinks and got back on the boat. :-) Whenever we had the opportunity to get off of the boat and eat, we did!