MSC Musica Cruise Review by Kathleen Gray: Absolutely divine!

Kathleen Gray
0 Post

Compare Prices on MSC Musica Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Absolutely divine!

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

Having read many of the reviews just before we left, I was beginning to wish we'd saved our money, and even feeling apprehensive about the cruise. We're a couple in our sixties and we were travelling with our son, daughter and partner,who are in their thirties. I was quite anxious about the embarkation in Venice, not fancying trundling a heavy suitcase around a hot, crowded tourist hot-spot, but in fact, having done our homework regarding the hotel and parking for the week, we managed to embark on Sunday morning around 11.30 with no trouble at all.We didn't buy any drinks packs in advance, preferring to pay as we went along.

Our cabin was great, reasonably spacious and clean, but we all agreed we were glad to have upgraded to a cabin with a balcony, as we had somewhere quiet and private to sit and read in the sun and fresh air. The younger ones spent time sunbathing on the top deck but that was too hot and noisy for us oldies.

The ship itself was spotlessly clean and More luxurious in decor, with many different lounges.The food was excellent and plentiful and we always managed to find somewhere to sit in the buffet restaurant.The evening meal was a pleasure with far too many courses and excellent service.

We didn't book any excursions but we did avail ourselves of the buses into the town centres.Our favourites were Mykonos, Corfu and Dubrovnik, although my daughter reckoned her favourite experience was the donkey ride up to Santorini.Glad I missed that one! She also availed herself of the gym every day being quite a fitness fanatic, and was pleased with the facilities.

Three of us had massages in the beauty parlour, which were very pleasant, but expensive. We were annoyed to discover that these were being offered at half price on the Thursday!

We found the staff extremely pleasant and helpful. They all seemed to speak English, but we were fortunate that my daughter spoke Spanish as many of them came from South America.

I'd guess that most of the passengers were Italian, with few Brits or Americans. A lot of family groups, ranging from babies to teenagers, were on board and I found their behaviour much more polite than I'd expect from British youngsters.It's also pleasant to hear Italian being spoken rather than English.

We found the organisation excellent, whether embarking/disembarking, catching shuttle buses, doing firedrills.

As this was our first cruise, it's hard to know what else people would expect: for us, it was fantastic. Our son had done one previously in the Western Med with P&O which he enjoyed but thought this one was better.We all had a great time and would recommend it without hesitation. Less

Read more MSC Musica cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Musica Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Musica Balcony Virtuoso Deck 8005

We loved our cabin: quite spacious, no noise, great balcony.

(3)
I stayed on board as it was too hot; the rest of our party got off and walked into the town. They had a walk around and a drink. Found it pleasant but nothing to rave about.

Read 102 Bari Reviews

We all got the shuttle bus into town and enjoyed walking round the streets looking at the shops and sipping cold drinks. Corfu is an interesting island historically and is much lusher than Santorini and Mykonos in terms of vegetation. It has an older, seedier feel to it, but is all the more interesting for that.

Read 269 Corfu Reviews

We all walked round the city walls and gasped at the beauty of the place and the hideousness of the bombing of it. Many of the roofs are new but nothing can disguise the ancient splendour of this city.Down below are interesting streets full of tourist shops, cafes and restaurants. Don't miss this.

We all got off and walked around the town. I enjoyed the shops and bought some souvenirs which were not too expensive. We then had a pleasant drink in a cafe at the water's edge.Very pleasant, friendly people.I'd guess the shops would be cheaper here than other shops.

We all got off here as my son had holidayed here before and wanted to show us round. We got the shuttle bus into town and had a delicious meal before walking to a bar right on the water's edge to watch the sun go down. Quite a moment when it disappeared and everyone clapped. We then went to another bar run by some friends of said son and enjoyed a couple of cocktails in very stylish surroundings. This is a very pretty place with lots going on and the gay influence has injected some style and class.A most enjoyable and memorable evening.I recommend this stop.

Read 375 Mykonos Reviews

The oldies stayed on board but the younger ones got off. They didn't like the look of the queue for the lift so they went up on donkies and had the most fun!They said they thought we were right to give it a miss as we would have been waiting a long time in the hot sun to go up/come down.