Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by seb1012: Celebrity Summit

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Celebrity Summit

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

I just returned home from a cruise on the Celebrity Summit that went from NJ to Bermuda. I have never cruised with Celebrity before and don't think that I will ever again. The service, ship cleanliness, overall appearance, and entertainment could not come close to comparing with what I have experienced on Royal Caribbean and Princess cruises.

The stateroom that I stayed in was the same size as the other ships that I have been on, but the setup of the furniture made very poor use of the space available. The first thing that my roommate and I did when we entered the room was to rearrange the furniture to make maximum use of the space. The shower had a crack in it and there was hair on the shower walls from the previous guests that I had to clean off. Everyone in our group had an issue with their toilet. They didn't flush and the plumber needed to be called on more than one occasion.

It was very obvious that the ship is old. Paint was peeling around the ship and the More air-conditioning in many areas of the ship was insufficient. People were constantly complaining about the heat. The air-conditioning in the stateroom however, was excellent and it was always cool in there. Several ice machines and drink machines in the buffet were broken. It was frustrating to have to walk all the way around to the other side of the buffet to get ice. Also, the ship set up Purell machines in areas around the boat for people to use before they went into the buffet or dining room etc. I thought this was a great idea, but more often than not, the machines were empty.

The entertainment on this ship was a huge problem as well. My group had the late dining session which was supposed to start at 8:30 but we were never let into the dining room before 8:45. We did not finish dinner until around 10:30 and often found ourselves missing the shows. The times that the shows were presented directly conflicted with the late dinner schedule. Some shows were offered at 7pm for the people who had the second dining option and we went to the show first and then dinner. I went on this trip with a group of 8 people between the ages of 26 and 30 and when we got out of dinner at 10:30 there was absolutely nothing to do. We were really disappointed with the lack of entertainment options compared to other cruises we had been on. The entertainment catered to people with the early dining session and we found ourselves totally bored after dinner and going to sleep shortly there after.

There are two pools outside and it should be noted that only one day of the 8 days of the trip, were both pools opened. There were way too many people trying to squeeze into one tiny pool. The indoor pool was very nice and enjoyable.

Although each of the things that I mentioned are fairly minor (other than the entertainment issues), they all add up. I will pick Royal Caribbean or Princess for my next cruise. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Inside Stateroom Sky Deck (9)