Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by slr1969: First cruise - great experience

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Western Caribbean Cruises

First cruise - great experience

Sail Date: August 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans

This was our first cruise, we went as a family of 4. Sailed from New Orleans to the Western Carribean. Although the Spirit is an older ship, we still enjoyed ourselves. The ship could still use some additional updating, the front windows are not clear/clean, you can see some water damage in the card room and some rust on the exterior of the ship. Card table drawers were missing knobs, but these are all minor things in my opinion. The bathroom shower tiles were cracked, but the rooms were very clean.

We had no troubles with regards to food, I thought it was all very good and some things were even exceptional. The staff were all friendly. My children had a blast with the staff in the teen room and couldn't wait for them to come on duty each afternoon, rarely did they return to the cabin before curfew. I really liked that the teens were taken to the shows as a group (if they wanted to go), this allowed them to make friends while on board ship, attend the shows with their new More friends and without having to find their parents. It also allowed my husband and I to have some time together without worrying about our girls.

The entertainers were fantastic. We especially enjoyed Angel, who played guitar and sang in Champagne Charlies & Henry's Pub, he plays beautifully and takes requests. We also enjoyed Jose & Patty, they are a lovely, fun couple that perform well together. I think the best show in the Stardust Theater was the Russian Acrobat couple.

Roatan was our favorite port. The dolphin encounter with Tabyanna beach was well worth the money. Be sure to take extra money for the dolphin photos, we didn't have enough and couldn't get the pictures because of the cost (they're very expensive - I think they are taking too much advantage of the tourist). Tabyanna Beach is beautiful, they had security to monitor your belongings on the beach chairs. Which enabled all of us to be in the water together, a rarity these days. The buffet lunch was very tasty and they drinks were unlimited.

Overall we had a fabulous first cruise and are looking forward to our next! Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit 9551

Room location was fine. Room is still small for 4 people. Wasn't a fan of the bed layout for 4 of us. I was expecting 2 bunks that opened off the wall and 2 twins (either connected or separate), we had 1 bunk, 1 "King" (connected twins) and a trundle bed squished between the "king" and the wall under the bunk. TOO TIGHT, no walking space to get out of the bed if you were the person in the middle. The shower floor could use some updating, replacing the cracked tiles.

The only redeeming factor for this port was the jewelry. Unfortunately we didn't take an excursion and were warned not to venture past Front Street because it wasn't safe unless going on a guided tour.

I did find an exceptionally beautiful Tanzanite ring, but we didn't stay for long in this port. Spent the bulk of our day aboard ship and entertained ourselves.

We took the Kohunlich Ruins tour. Jesus was our guide and he was extremely knowledgeable. The tour is long - 2 hours to and from the site, 2 hours on site - but I think it was well worth it. The history of the place and Jesus' detailed explanation were very educational. The boxed lunch wasn't much, but you were supplied with a bottle of water to start the tour and could purchase soda, beer or gatorade at the end.

I would recommend this tour for anyone that wants to learn about the Mayan culture and isn't afraid to walk & explore. We were encouraged to explore each of the dwellings and to take as many pictures as we liked. Jesus always found a nice shady spot for our explanations, then gave us at least 15 minutes to explore and capture our memories.

Didn't go on any excursions here, probably should have. Didn't like being accosted by all the hawkers and shop owners. Would have been nicer to be able to walk down the sidewalk and window shop/browse at leisure.

Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

(5.5)
By far my favorite port! I would go back here in a heart beat, the island is beautiful. Tabyanna beach has white, powdery sand and crystal clear water. We could watch the small fish swimming at our feet, found a few Conch shells with conch still living in them. We thoroughly enjoyed our dolphin encounter w/ Tabyanna Beach excursion. The food was very good, the fruit was exceptional, and the drinks (non-alcoholic) were unlimited.

Read 1646 Roatan Reviews