Thomson Spirit Cruise Review by thomsonfirsttimer

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Thomson Spirit Cruise Review by thomsonfirsttimer
Thomson Spirit
Thomson Spirit
Member Name: thomsonfirsttimer
Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 12i
See More About: Thomson Spirit Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Thomson Spirit Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Thomson Spirit Deck Plans
In High Spirits Following This Cruise
I echo some of the previous positive reviews. This is our 5th cruise and yes it's not luxury but it's not Butlins either. We have cruised with Princess recently so are able to make a comparison with the more luxurious ships.

The staff were great. The bar and restaurant staff are friendly and the ones that look sad are probably home sick so chat to them and take the opportunity to learn a few words in their native language (often Russian) and they will go out of their way for you - no tips are required just a smile and a bit of effort.

The entertainment was mostly fab - Carly (Carlotta) was my favourite - she could sing and dance and act - really passionate and enthusiastic about her work - so infections and positive.

Holly was also great and her cutting comments on The Weakest Link show in High Spirits were great (and I was one of the contestants!).

The comedian (George King) was OK but not the best we have seen with Thomson or Princess.

The cruise director (Richard Gray) was good. He acted in the afternoon play, did some hosting for the pool deck activities (he even jumped in one day which was unexpected by everyone including his team!). He also did hosting in the Broadway Shown Lounge and took part in one of the High Spirits game shows (Generation Game). He also did updates over the PA system twice a day.

The afternoon play was first class - I would really suggest you go and see it. Even my son (11) enjoyed it.

The selection of drinks is fine although it's a bit random as to what is included and excluded from the AI list. Anything with cranberry seems to be excluded as does anything with Baileys. It's weird as some cheaper drinks are excluded while more expensive ones are included - odd!

The cabin was fine - very spacious and serviced twice a day by two friendly housekeepers who decorated our door for birthdays.

The food was always good - we dined in the Compass Rose for 5 nights and the Lido for 2. We had lunch each day in the Lido or Pool grill and breakfast each day in the Lido.

I would recommend this ship and the itinerary - Adriatic Explorer.

Do let me know if you have any questions and I will be glad to help.

Publication Date: 08/30/11