Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by SamuraiCruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by SamuraiCruiser
Carnival Sensation
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 4A
Cabin Number: R45

Ok 4 day cruise didn't expect much and didn't receive it
This was my 92nd cruise, 32nd on Carnival, 4th time on Sensation. Took a "Virgin" cruiser on his first trip and his verdict is still out. We had decent weather, smooth seas. We had to cut our overnight stay in Nassau to avoid hurricane Irene but that was not a problem for us either.

The inside cabin R45 was fine for the two of us, more than enough storage space for a short cruise. As I am a Platinum repeater with Carnival embarkation was a breeze and we were on board by 1215 PM. As I know my way around the ship I headed straight to our room even though they were not officially "ready". Found our steward for the trip nearby and he let us in to our cabin. We headed up to buffet for lunch and then I took my companion on full tour of the ship to familiarize himself with it. Back to the room to unpack. Skippped emergency drill which never changes no matter what they tell you on the loudspeaker so got the drill paper shoved under the door again!

Had a table for 2 first sitting in Fantasy dining room. Waiter and Maitre D remembered me from my January trip so had excellent dinner time service. Food was all ok and lots of choices from their slimmed down updated menu. Unfortunately, open sitting breakfasts in the Fantasy dining room were disappointing both times that we tried them due to mixed up orders and cold and lukewarm food ( as though the waiters on duty just didnt understand English or just didnt care anymore). I spoke to the Food and Beverage manager on duty but the second day we ate at a different station/ table and it was even worse! The one and only sit down lunch on the final sea day was fine although then menu has not been updated in over 5 years!

Been to both ports many times so no shore excursions. We walked around pier area in Freeport and got a few souvenirs. In Nassau I took my friend on a walking tour all the way up to the Water Tower, Queen's Stairs, and Fort Fincastle. The elevator to the top of the tower has still not been repaired ( over 5 years now) and probably never will be so we didnt get the panoramic view I had promised. On the way back to Bay street I had a mini-stroke from over-exerting myself in the extreme heat and collapsed on the sidewalk so we had to cut our tour short and go back to the ship! I took some aspirin and rested while my companion went back on shore as he had to use an Internet cafe to send some important papers as the ship's Wi-fi is too slow and too expensive. I was fully recovered by his return so no need to abandon our cruise and fly home. Due to Hurricane Irene's imminent arrival we cut our stay short to make it back to Canaveral on time so no night life or casinos at Cable Beach or Paradise Island either.

Debarkation was a problem because the Eastern European young woman assigned to the Michaelangelo lounge was giving the Platinum and suite passengers a hard time as she did not understand her company's corporate policies at all! We escaped her clutches and made it off the ship before the rest of the poor folks trapped by her. However, the luggage tag fell off my friend's suitcase or was removed by a malicious child on board and it took us an extra 20 minutes to finally locate it. Carnival staff and Federal agents in the luggage shed were no help at all and it took a sweet young female porter to finally locate it for us. We were out of the parking lot (60 dollars for 4 days) and on the road by 9 AM even after all that aggravation.

Leave it to be said that we did not see any of the shows as I am totally over all cruise ship entertainment after so many of them. The other passenger we spoke with thought they were all ok but no big deal. The ships stores had some decent sales for duty free cigarettes and liquor and also a great tee shirt sale but their prices for perfumes, cosmetics, and jewelry can all be beaten by other stores or online websites!

Would I travel Carnival again? Of course. Im booked on the Destiny Sept 10th for 5 nights. Some cruises are just better than others and Ill keep doing it until we both get it right!

Publication Date: 08/28/11